Master Plan Part 1

Sheriff and I were talking by my locker. He was doing official police business and I was doing official normal teenage school stuff. It just felt so wrong with everything going on. Stiles was still missing, and I was barely functioning. I admired Sheriff for being able to keep his cool so well, outwardly anyway. On the inside, he was probably screaming as loud as I was.

My arms were folded in front of my chest, clutching some textbook I'd never find a use for outside of high school, and trying my best not to burst into tears. What if Stiles was dead?

"I gotta meet with the Medical Examiner and try to figure out what happened with Jackson," Sheriff explained. "I've got an APB out on Stiles." My heart clenched uncomfortably, and I knew I was close to tears. "His jeep is still in the parking lot, so that means..." Sheriff trailed off, staring at me. He blinked away, closing his mouth. "Well, hell, I don't know what that means. Um... Look, i-if he answers his phone, if he answers his emails, if you see him..." Sheriff's eyes were turning red as tears filled them.

"You'll be the first I call," I answered, hoping I sounded strong for him.

"Yeah... Scott said he might just be freaked out from all the attention," Sheriff said as though he didn't believe that. I agreed, Stiles was nothing if not outgoing. He would've loved the attention.

"We'll find him. I'll look all night if I have to," I reassured.

Sheriff nodded once. "Yeah. I'll see you, okay?"

"Wait, Sheriff. I-... This is going to sound weird, but can I stay in Stiles' room tonight? It's just, he was there for me for the whole time while I was dead. If he comes home, I-..." I faltered, not really knowing where I was going with that. What would I do? Bombard him with questions? Hug him and never let go? Intrude on their father-son time?

Sheriff smiled lightly, sadness written on his face. "Yeah. As long as you like." He walked away, his shoulders slumped.

I walked down to the boys' locker room where I knew Scott was. He must have a plan. He always has a plan.

"You're gunna find him by scent?" Isaac asked. I walked in to see the room empty except for Scott and Isaac, and Stiles' bent locker door on the floor.

"Yeah, we both are," Scott said, digging into Stiles' locker. He stopped as he turned to see me.

"I'm coming with you," I said sternly. He nodded and tossed Isaac a shoe. Isaac and I shared awkward glances. Well, mine was awkward, his was like he was waiting for me to take him back.

He sighed when I looked away and looked at the shoe in his hand. "How come you get his shirt and I get a shoe?" he asked Scott.

"Uh, guys?" I said, staring at Derek. They went silent as they noticed him, too. Derek was standing with his arms behind his back, staring at us quietly. And here I thought he'd gotten past the whole 'creepy stalker stare'.

"We need to talk," Derek said. Then Peter—yes, alpha werewolf Peter—stepped out from behind the lockers, his hands also behind his back. He looked pretty alive for a dead guy.

"All of us," Peter nodded, his mouth turning up in a smirk. Scott cursed under his breath, and I stared like I didn't have a brain. He had died, right?

"What the hell is this?" Scott asked with confusion.

"You know, I thought the same thing when I saw you talking to Gerard at the Sheriff's station," Derek replied, his eyes squinted with distrust.

I stepped away from Scott, staring at him with wide eyes. "What?!" He knew what Gerard did, but he didn't think to tell me about him and Gerard as I was replaying my death for him? How rude.