Chaos Rising Part 5

I was actually kind of glad I didn't go with Scott because that would've left Stiles alone with Peter, and the thought made me want to scream.

Peter moved to the couch, resting his feet on the table with his ankles and arms crossed and his eyes closed. Stiles stood over by the window, staring at the large full moon just outside of it. I paced around the table with the map on it. Stiles chewed on his nails so much that I wondered if he'd have any left by the time tonight was over.

I walked up behind him, sliding my arms around his body and resting my cheek on his back.

"I can't take waiting around like this, you know? It's nerve-wracking. My nerves are wracked, they're severely wracked. Wracked," he murmured. I huffed out a laugh.

"I could beat you unconscious and wake you up when it's over," Peter offered rudely.

"Or I could kill you. So you don't come back this time," I retorted. Stiles sighed and turned to face me.

"You think Erica's really dead?" he asked.

"Isaac said he saw her body," I shrugged. Stiles looked like his mind was racing a mile a minute.

"I just, I don't understand the bank, though, okay? Like why wouldn't they chain them up in some underground lair or something? They're an alpha pack. Shouldn't they have a lair?" Stiles asked.

"They're werewolves. Not bond villains," Peter grumbled.

Stiles' eyes lit up like something sparked and he started mindlessly walking around the room. "Wait a sec. Wait a sec! Maybe they're living there, you know? Like maybe the bank vault reminds them of their little wolf dens."

"Wolf dens?"

"Yeah, wolf dens. Where do you live?" Stiles asked Peter.

"In an underground network of caves hidden deep in the woods," Peter said seriously, finally opening his eyes.

"Woah, really?" Stiles said excitedly. I frowned, knowing what was coming.

Instantly, Peter replied, "No, you idiot." He went back to his closed-eyed lounging position. "I have an apartment downtown."

"Okay fine. But still, that just proves that there's something up with the bank," Stiles insisted.

"Why wait for the full moon?" I asked, thinking aloud.

"Huh?"

"Like why not just kill them whenever they want?"

"Maybe they think it's poetic," Peter murmured.

"They've already had three full moons to be poetic," Stiles agreed with me.

"And here you've only had one full hour to be so anno..." Peter groaned, stopping mid-sentence. He lifted his head, his eyes dancing around curiously.

"No, go ahead. Finish what you were saying. I'm an- I'm anno-. What were you gunna say there?" Stiles taunted.

"What is it? What are you thinking?" I asked Peter, putting a hand on Stiles' arm to make him shut up.

Peter sat up and asked Stiles, "What are the walls made of?"

"What? Uh..." Stiles looked up, checking the build of the room while Peter stood to pace. "I don't know, like wood and brick or-."

"No, baby," I sighed. "Not here, the bank. The vault. The walls of the vault, what are they?" Peter started flipping through the maps on the table and I rounded the table to look at it from across him. Stiles came to stand next to me.

"Doesn't say anything. Where would it say the materials, the type of stone?" Peter asked frantically. Stiles held up a finger and dug into his backpack. He pulled out a large stack of papers clipped together and gave them to Peter, who immediately started flipping through.

I wondered what Peter was thinking, but he was on a role so I thought it best not to disrupt the flow. The more pages he flipped, the more frustrated he became. He finally let out a massive sigh of defeat. I flipped to the next page to encourage him and Stiles pointed at the page.

"There. That's it."

Peter mumbled as he read, sliding his finger along the text. One word made it would of his mouth. "Hecatolite?"

"Is that awful?" Stiles asked. "That sounds awful."

"Get them on the phone. Call them. Now!" Peter ordered and Stiles leapt for his phone, beginning to dial.

"What is it, Peter?" I said.

"Boyd and that girl aren't gunna kill each other. They're gunna kill Derek and Scott," Peter said. Stiles' head slowly peeked up to stare at Peter with an open mouth.

"Dial!" I demanded frantically, and Stiles snapped out of it and pressed call.

"Stiles, now is not the best time," Scott said, sounding slightly nervous.

"Scott! Scott, no listen to me, okay? Look, you gotta get outta there right now! Look, the walls of the vault are made with a mineral called Hecatolite. It scatters the moonlight," Stiles explained.

"What does that mean?"

"Scott, it's me," I said, taking over. "It keeps the moonlight out. They haven't felt the full moon in months. They have no tolerance to it anymore. They're stronger, deadlier, more bloodthirsty. You need to get out of there." It was quiet on their end, neither of them talking.

Stiles called Scott's name in an effort to make sure they were still alive. Boyd and the girl Derek just called Cora began to growl. From the sound of it, they were beginning to shift, and Scott and Derek were trapped with them. The call dropped leaving us with no knowledge of it they were dead or alive. And no way to help.