Chaos Rising Part 2

Scott, Stiles and I walked through the outside to get to our class. It was sprinkling and there were puddles of water all over the concrete. We walked under a pass that would shelter us from the rain.

"What would a pack of alphas want with Erica and Boyd?" Stiles asked.

"I'm not sure it's them they want," Scott replied.

"Okay, what like Derek? They're recruiting?"

"I think we should let them take him. If they want alphas, then they're not gunna kill him. Besides, they're probably not even that great anyway. They sound like losers with a superiority complex," I grumbled. Stiles gave me a weird look. "Sorry. I'm pretty sure I just failed a test."

"It's just one test, babe. You'll make it up, don't worry," Stiles encouraged, draping his arm over my shoulders. I smiled noncommittedly. I stopped when Scott stopped, both of us sensing the same thing. There was another Were nearby.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw two boys with identical gaits walking away from us.

"Guys. You coming?" Stiles said, knocking us out of our trance.

Scott looked at me, silently asking me if I sensed it, too. I nodded at him and then continued to walk, going back to Stiles' side.

------------------------------------

Coach slammed an econ textbook down on his desk to wake us all up after the bell rang.

"The stock market is based on two principles. What are they?" Coach asked. Scott raised his hand. "Yes, McCall, you can go to the bathroom. Anybody else?"

"Uh, no, I know the answer," Scott stuttered, slowly lowering his hand. Coach's eyebrows shot up in surprise and he laughed loudly.

"Oh, you're serious," Coach said.

"Y-yeah. It's risk and reward," Scott answered.

"Wow!" Coach replied happily. "Who are you?! And what have you done to McCall?" Scott grinned proudly. "Don't answer that. I like you better." I smiled at him, feeling delighted that Scott was getting praised this year instead of yelled at. Whispering, Coach repeated, "I like you better."

Coach stood to speak to the class again. "Does anybody have a quarter?" Stiles dug into his pocket and pulled out a quarter. Only on the way, an XXL condom flew out of his pocket and onto the floor. I stared at Stiles, flushing with embarrassment, and Stiles stared wide-eyed at his desk.

Coach slowly picked up the condom. "Stilinski, I think you, uh... You dropped this." Coach handed Stiles the condom in exchange for the quarter and I wanted to dig a hole and bury myself. "And congratulations." Coach's eyes flicked over to me for a split second and I was so red I could've made a new color on the spectrum.

My eyes flicked over to Stiles angrily, and he flushed. I was angry, yes, but I was also now very, very turned on. Scott laughed at us quietly. And maybe I should ask Stiles why he was carrying around condoms.

"Risk and reward," Coach continued. "Put the quarter in the mug, win the reward." Coach picked up the white mug from his desk and placed it on the floor. "Okay, watch Coach." Coach backed up, blew on the quarter for luck, then bounced it against the tile. It flew into the mug with a clatter.

We applauded him as a class because, let's be honest, he needed the occasional praise.

"Okay, Danny," Coach said, tossing Danny the quarter. "Risk, reward."

"What's the reward?" Danny asked.

"You don't have to take the pop quiz tomorrow," Coach decided.

"Coach, it's not a pop quiz if you tell us about it."

"Danny, you know, I really expect more from you at this point. Really," Coach muttered sorely, taking the coin from his hands and putting it onto Scott's desk. "McCall. Risk, reward. The risk: If you don't put the quarter in the mug, you have to take the pop qu-. Th-the quiz. And! And you have to write an essay. Risk, more work. Reward." Coach blew in his hand like he was letting something fly away. "No work at all. Or choose not to play."

"But isn't this just chance?" Scott asked. I frowned. Not with us. Scott and I had Were powers. This was a game we could play in our sleep.

"No. You know your abilities, your coordination, your focus, past experience—all factors affecting your outcome. So, what's it gunna be, McCall? More work, no work, or choose not to play?"

Scott stared at the quarter in his hand before placing it down on the desk. I sighed at Scott, admiring his decision not to play (since it would be cheating), but also hating it. If he didn't play, that meant I couldn't either without him seeing me as a cheater. And I couldn't have that.

Stiles did drum pats on his desk excitedly when Coach asked who else wanted to play.

"There you go! There's a gambling man," Coach said happily, letting Stiles go up to the front. He clapped as Stiles took the quarter and prepared to take the shot. "Alright, Stilinski."

Sheriff walked into the room in uniform with another deputy. "Stiles."

Stiles shook his butt a little as he aimed. "Yeah, Coach, I got it."

"Stiles," Sheriff repeated. Stiles finally noticed Sheriff and stood to full height. Sheriff took both Stiles and I out into the hall, looking serious. "I heard you two were there at Heather's party yesterday. A boy said you were standing in the basement when he came back down and she was gone."

"Yeah, Stiles and I were... Dancing, and I heard someone scream. I ran down there, but she was gone. After the guy came down, I just figured she had hooked up with her other friends. She was pretty drunk," I said. Sheriff crossed his arms sternly.

"Has no one really seen her since last night?" Stiles asked.

"No," Sheriff sighed. "We put out an APB, but... Listen, I hate to ask you this, but some kids at the party said they saw Heather kiss Stiles and that you looked pretty angry about it. You know, we have to check every angle."

"It's okay. I mean, yeah, I was mad for a second, but I would never hurt her," I replied. Sheriff looked like he wanted to say, 'I know', but with the other deputy there, he couldn't seem partial to anyone.

"Y/N and I were together the entire time. She couldn't have done it," Stiles helped. Sheriff nodded.

"We hope that it's just a series of bad decisions based on too much to drink," Sheriff said. "But if you remember anything else, you call me. Both of you."

"So, you think the alpha pack kidnapped Heather to turn her?" Scott asked once we got out of class.

"Derek says it's easier to turn teenagers," Stiles supported.

"But what would a pack of alphas want with a beta? It doesn't make sense," I shrugged.

"Babe, I don't know. I don't care," Stiles replied. "I'm just worried that it could've been you. You know, if we had been down there instead of her, it could've been-." Stiles cut himself off, taking a deep breath. "If we find her, we can figure out why the alphas took her."

"Okay, then we need Isaac to remember," Scott said as I took Stiles' hand, feeling my heart swell.

"How? Peter and Derek couldn't do it. You know any other werewolves with a better trick?" Stiles grumbled. Scott stopped like he just figured something out.

"Maybe not a werewolf. But someone who knows a lot about them."