Wolf's Bane Part 1

I didn't know how we got here. Actually, that's a lie, I did know. It was just way too ridiculous to be plausible. Derek, who was freaking alive by the way, was running from not only the hunters, but also from the police. And Stiles, Scott and I were now involved in a crime. One called Accessory, because we were driving Derek's car to help get some of the heat off of him while he ran. So, now I was criminal, too. Good times.

Whoever was behind us was not a cop (they were in a green Kia soul), so that was a good thing, but it meant that it was a hunter, and that was a very bad thing. I was tucked in the backseat while Scott drove Derek's sports car. Or tried anyway.

"Faster?" Scott asked as Stiles looked out the back windshield.

"Much faster," I replied. Scott switched gears and stomped on the gas. Impressively, the Kia stayed on us, though we managed to get a few feet away. Look at that, progress.

"Okay, Scott, I don't think you're grasping the concept of the car chase, here," Stiles said nervously.

"If I go faster, I'll kill us," Scott argued, equally as nervous.

"Well, if you don't they're gunna kill us," I told him. Scott shifted gears again and we shot forward. Stiles looked back.

"They're gone." Stiles' face looked surprised, but I wasn't ready to celebrate just yet. Stiles clicked on his police radio.

"All units, suspect is on foot heading into the iron works," Sheriff said. Scott turned onto a road, driving to where Derek was. We skidded to a stop next to him. He was crouched and at the top of some stairs, Allison's father was shooting arrows at him with a crossbow. Only the arrows weren't to kill, they were to blind. Wherever they struck, a flash of blinding light burst.

Stiles opened the passenger door and then slid into the backseat with me as Derek ran into the car. As soon as he was in, Scott sped away.

"What part of laying low don't you understand?" Scott scolded Derek.

"Damnit, I had him!"

"Who? The Alpha?" I asked, sitting up to lean between the seats.

"Yes! He was right in front of me, and the fucking police showed up!"

Stiles jumped in the space between the seats with me, squishing us together as he frowned at Derek. "Woah, hey, they're just doing their job." Derek's head snapped over to glare at Stiles, and me since I was between them. It felt weird being the recipient of the patented Derek Hale stare. Usually it was reserved for Stiles. I smiled awkwardly.

"Yeah. Thanks to someone who decided to make me the most wanted fugitive in the entire state," Derek accused.

"Can we seriously get past that?" Scott whined. "I made a dumbass mistake, I get it. I've been making a lot of them lately."

"Alright!" I interrupted. "How did you find him?" Derek shook his head at me like 'yeah, like I'm gunna tell you'. I scoffed at him. "Wow, and here I thought we were making progress."

"Can you try to trust us for at least half a second?" Scott said.

"Yeah, all of us," Stiles barked. Again, he (me. we.) got the Derek stare, and Stiles shook his head. "Or just him. That's cool, too."

Derek huffed, "Look, the last time I saw my sister, she was close to figuring something out. She found two things. The first was a guy named Harris."

"Our chemistry teacher?" I blurted with surprise.

"Why him?" Stiles asked.

"I don't know yet. The second is some kind of symbol." Derek unfolded a piece of paper with the drawing of the symbol on it. It looked like a warped circle, or maybe a warped square, with a wolf in the center and a moon at the top. I squinted at it and Scott glanced at it before closing his eyes. He was driving, so that didn't make me feel all too safe.