Illuminated Part 1

The four of us, all (mostly) unscathed, sat in Sheriff's office getting chewed out by Mr. McCall while, behind him, Sheriff sat in his chair and rubbed his forehead. Kira, since there was no more room on the couch between the three of us, sat in the chair right next to the couch. Stiles had a pillow over his lap, and I had my legs crossed as I leaned back against him casually.

"So when did you get there?" McCall asked, looking down at his notepad.

"At the same time," I replied seriously. We'd tell Sheriff the truth when McCall got the heck out of our business.

"At the same time as who?"

"Same time as me," Scott answered.

"By coincidence?" McCall said like he thought we were full of crap.

"What do you mean by coincidence?" Stiles asked slowly, his fingertips playing with each other and his chin in the air as he squinted at McCall.

"That's what I'm asking you," he replied. "The three of you arrive at the same time. Was that coincidence?"

"Are you asking me?" Scott asked.

"I think he's asking me," Stiles replied.

"No, he's definitely asking me," I corrected, hoping to confuse McCall. Behind him, Sheriff smiled at our stubbornness.

"Okay, let me answer the questions," McCall grumbled, cutting us off. His face dropped as he sighed, thinking about what he just said. Stiles, who had one arm crossed over his chest and the other hand pinching his lips as we stared at McCall, lifted his eyebrows up at him. "Let me ask the questions."

As if saying 'there you go, big boy', Stiles winked and pointed at pointed at him congratulatorily. I fought off a snigger.

"Just so I have this absolutely clear. Barrow was hiding in the chemistry closet at the school. Someone left him a coded message on the blackboard telling him to kill Kira. Then Barrow took Kira to a power substation and tied her up with the intent of electrocuting her, which blacked out the entire town," McCall read from his notepad.

Stiles looked from his nails to me and we nodded at each other. "Sounds about right," he said.

"How'd you know he'd take her to a power station?"

"Well, 'cause he was an electrical engineer. So where else would he take her?" Stiles replied, afterwards giving me a small smile.

McCall nodded, his jaw cocked with repressed annoyance. "That's one hell of a deduction there, Stiles."

"Yeah, what can I say? I take after my pops. He is in law enforcement." Stiles shot a wink to Sheriff, who was covering his mouth so McCall would see him smile. Sheriff snorted, unable to stop it, and when McCall looked back, he rubbed his nose and coughed. I pat Stiles' knee endearingly, smiling down at my lap.

"Stiles, just, uh... Answer the man," Sheriff said, pretending to be stern.

"Look, we made a good guess. Humans go with what they know. We know." I quickly corrected myself. "Humans, we, me. Uh, I, we-we know. We go with what we know," I said tactfully, earning me stares from everyone in the room. Sheriff rubbed his forehead again and shook his head slowly. I cleared my throat and pursed my lips in a smile. Smooth, Y/N.

Thankfully, McCall ignored it and looked at Scott and Kira. "What were the two of you doing?"

"Eating sushi," Kira whispered.

"Eating pizza," Scott said at the same time. They glanced at each other and tried again, both switching to the other food. McCall stared at the two with a blank face.