Chapter 49: Thank You Rolla

Chapter 49: Thank You Dear Rolla

“Hello?”

                        This must be a dream. I’m in Murera but it’s empty. This cannot be right. I turn around at the sound of a door opening. This is a dream. Caprika and Odyss. They came back.

“I thought I would never see you again,” I told them.

“We are in your heart Rolla, we are always looking over you.”

“Yeah but you know what I mean.”

“Yes we do,” Caprika smiled, “but we must thank you.”

“Thank me? You’re the one who helped me. I never would have won the war without you two.”

“No, thank you Dear Rolla,” she replied, “for being the greatest leader we could have predicted for the chosen ones. You will be a great queen to the Tigmas someday.”

I smiled, “I’m glad I can live up to your expectations. Ever since I learned about you two I wanted to be good enough for you. I wanted to be enough for the Tigmas. I wanted to be good enough to help them.”

“You did. You will always be good enough Rolla; you just have to remember to be yourself. Be the strong opinionated Rolla we know. Listen to your heart and it’ll never stray you wrong.”

“This is officially the last time I will see you though isn’t it?” I asked them. “Because the war’s over now and we’re free.”

“We may come back someday,” Odyss said.

“When?”

“We cannot tell you that Rolla. That must be kept to ourselves. For now, do us one thing.”

“What?”

Caprika smiled and answered, “Enjoy your life. Make sure the humans know the Tigmas are not dangerous and expand your horizons. Get married to Pilote and enjoy your very long life together.”

I smiled, “Thank you Caprika. Thank you Odyss. I love you.”

“We love you too.”

                        I sat up in my bed just waking up from the dream. It must have woken up Pilote because he sat up a few minutes later.

“Are you okay?”

“They came back.”

“Who?” He asked.

“Caprika and Odyss.”

“And?” he asked.

I smiled at him, “They’re happy. They thanked me.”

He kissed me, “A lot of people should thank you.”

“I don’t expect a thank you. I did it for the Tigmas.”

“I know. That’s one of the reasons why you’re such a good leader.”

                        My wedding to Pilote took place a few weeks later. My parents planned the whole event and it held in the exact spot we met. After talking to a few officials the entire park was closed off for the event. Hundreds of decorations were put up and practically a dozen cameras were set up so everything could be recorded for the Tigmas in Murera to watch live. Surprisingly, most of them stayed in Murera, but every day they take trips above ground to explore the city. I guess it’s the perfect way to warm the humans up to our kind. After our wedding party Pilote and I agreed to leave Murera for a while in order to explore the world. Topanga and Sam are coming with us to show us around. We want to explore the world while we have the chance. I guess that’s what Caprika and Odyss meant by expanding our horizons.

                        Jasmine and my mom helped me with my dress and make-up before the ceremony while John was in helping Pilote get ready.

“You look beautiful,” my mom told me. “I can’t believe you’re getting married.”

“I can’t believe I am either,” I smiled. “Am I finished?”

Jasmine nodded, “Yes you’re ready.”

“Is it time?”

She chuckled, “Yeah it’s time. Go meet your husband.”

                        Everybody took their seats, standing as soon as they saw me, and walked down the aisle. Pilote stood in the exact spot I first saw him. Tigma weddings are much like human weddings, except for the end. We said our vows and exchanged our rings. When it came time for us to kiss is when it changed. It was beautiful. My smile never left my face and Pilote’s smile never left his face either. I knew what he was thinking and I’m sure he knew what I was thinking too. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he put his hands on my waist. We started floating the second our lips touch. I felt a bright light come over us causing both of us to pull away. We were still in the air and the light seemed to come out of nowhere. I looked at my ring which was glowing too. Pilote looked at his too and we watched them change. Pilote’s name was now engraved on my ring. Pilote showed me his which had my name engraved on his. I looked back up at Pilote and he kissed me again. We slowly lowered to the ground and our guests were still clapping for us.

“I love you,” Pilote told me.

I smiled, “I love you too.”

                        Pilote and I walked back down the aisle where a carriage was waiting to take us back down to our party in Murera. We waved at the guests and we waved at the humans as we rode through town. The ruins of my adopted parents’ house were finally cleaned up after the war. There’s a building there now. It’s an entry way really to make sure that not just anyone wanders into my house. A second opening was put it that leads straight to Murera instead of to my house. Humans can go into the new building where they will be instructed on the right doors to use. The workers in this building are all Tigma. The only ones who can use the balcony are Pilote, Topanga, Sam, Teegan, John, and I. Everyone knows our faces well enough to know who we are.

                        The carriage dropped us off at the door of the building and we walked in. Everybody clapped immediately as we entered. Humans turned around to look at first, but joined in with the clapping too. Two of the workers opened our door for us and we walked down the stairs to our house. We hurried to the balcony where everybody had already returned. Our wedding party is being held in the quad in front of the palace. It looked beautiful. We received more applause as we walked down and greeted Murera. We ate dinner and rushed through our wedding party. It sounds rude but most Tigma wedding parties do not last very long, an hour at the most. We went upstairs, saying goodbye to Murera, and grabbed our bags that were waiting in our room. Topanga and Sam did the same as we did and we left our house. We stopped just outside the building and looked back.

“This is it,” I said, “The last time we’ll see Murera for a few years.”

“We’ll come back to visit,” Pilote said, “But we need to explore the world first.”

“It’s a remarkable world out there,” Topanga said, “But this time we don’t have to hide.”

“We can be ourselves,” I smiled. “Now I get to go back to being me. Not the leader or the princess. Just Rolla. Tiger’s Eye.”

Pilote reached over and held my hand, “I like Rolla best.”

I smiled at him, “Me too.”