Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"I don't like anything in here," I whined.

Jasmine laughed, "They are your clothes."

I replied, "Yes but they are not nice enough for this date."

"What's special about this date?" she asked.

"I don't know why it's special yet but I know that it is special. On regular dates Pilote tells me about it, but this one he's kept secret. I want to look nice for him." I turned around to look through Jasmine's clothes. "Do you have a fancy blouse I could wear?"

"What about a dress?"

I shook my head, "I don't like dresses."

"I don't, sorry."

I walked out of the closet, "I'll ask Layal. She wears dresses and fancy clothes all the time." Layal sat at her desk writing when I came in.

"What's up?" she asked and stood up.

"I need a fancy shirt to wear on my date tonight, but I don't want a dress."

"I am the person to come to," Layal smiled. She had a small closet, but half she hung with dresses and the other half shirts. "Do you have a color preference?" she asked.

"What about orange?"

She held up two options. "One of these?"

"The left," I smiled, "It's perfect. What should I wear with it?"

"Oh!" She handed me the shirt, dropped the other one, and raced to her dresser. She took out a pair of leggings and tossed them to me. I caught them as she came back over to the closet to give me a pair of shoes. "This will be the perfect outfit for you."

I hugged her, "You're the best Layal. Thank you!"

She laughed, "So you have a fancy date huh?"

"Yes and it's killing me that it's a secret."

"He will love you even more when he sees you," she smiled.

"I'll see you later," I held the clothes in my hand and went back to my room. I changed quickly in the bathroom and showed off my outfit to Jasmine. "What do you think?"

"You look gorgeous," she closed her book and stood up. "Turn around."

I held out my arms and turned around for her. "I asked Layal for a shirt and she created an entire outfit for me instead. I love it! Do you think Pilote will like it?"

"Yes," Jasmine smiled, "I think Pilote will love it."

I turned to pick up my purse next to the desk but stopped in my tracks when the ground beneath me started shaking. The walls shook and our framed pictures fell to the ground, most of the glass breaking upon impact. I walked to grab onto something, but someone stood in the doorway. I let out a scream. He looked terrified when he saw me. He jumped as I screamed and ran away. The shaking stopped and I tried to run after him, but he seemed to disappear. I went back to the room and asked Jasmine, "Did you see where he came from?"

She slowly sat on the bed and shook her head. "What the Hell was that?"

I couldn't keep my emotions in check. Jasmine barely held her tears back. How could someone break in? I started crying when Pilote ran in. He wrapped his arms around me and I clung to him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head onto his chest while I cried. "What happened?!" He asked.

I stuttered, "Someone was in here and it wasn't one of us. I don't know how they got in here."

"What do you mean?" he asked. After I explained everything he replied, "He has to be somewhere. Let's go upstairs with the rest of them."

He turned us around and Jasmine went to follow us out, but the other chosen ones were already crowded around our bedroom door. I let go of Pilote and he kept one arm around my waist. I wanted to say something, but I realized they were not looking at us. They were looking to the left of the door. The three of us walked farther out. There was an opening where the wall used to be at the end of the hallway. I stepped up to the front and Jasmine and Pilote followed. I could tell Pilote wanted to let go, but I don't think I can handle looking through that doorway without him. My heart was still racing and my face still wet from crying. What could be back there?

"I'm still here," Pilote whispered to me. "Don't worry. I won't leave."

I sawa balcony as we stepped closer to the doorway. I could hear Pilote's confusionabout a balcony being underground, but it was definitely a balcony. Jasmine,Pilote, and I walked onto it first and the other chosen ones followed. I stoodright in front of the railing and looked down. This is it. The city we havetalked about since the day we met was right next to us the entire time. Thebuildings were made of stone and the streets were made of stone or dirt orboth. Millions of people were walking the streets minding their own business.They created their own world where they didn't need to depend on the humans.This is the last thing I expected. I let go of Pilote's hand to lean against therailing. I smiled at Pilote. I can't believe we found it. He reached down andtook my hand. If this is where everyone's hiding this means my family is heretoo. We spent our entire lives away from them. I wasn't sure this moment wouldcome. Now that it has what do I say to them?