Chapter 8

Book 1: Tiger's Eye

Book 2: Concealment

Book 3: Ignited

Chapter 8

We all laughed and went to the computer to make plans after Jasmine's late response to our new idea. Seth was the computer genius so he did most of the work himself. He made up names of foster parents and created a story to back it up. Once we formed our main ideas we released the rest of the chosen ones and Pilote, Seth, and I stayed in the Room of Rulers to figure out the other details. "Our parents loved children so they kept adopting," I told them, "And Jasmine and I were the last children they adopted."

"Because you are sisters," Seth added, "And the agency tried hard not to separate family."

"How do we explain my relationship with Pilote?" I asked Seth.

Pilote interrupted, "Does the story need to be this detailed?"

"I'll remind you," Seth answered, "That there will be curious students and administration members asking us questions if every detail of our story does not add up."

"What do we say?" I asked again, "Any ideas?"

"You wanted Pilote's family to adopt you and your sister because you knew they adopted Pilote. You were in the foster system with Pilote and you grew so close that you did not want to separate from him either. Rolla, they adopted Jasmine but they kept you as a foster child because you started dating Pilote, and they promised your living situation would be permanent."

I nodded, "Have you thought about this before?"

He shrugged, "After what everyone else said about being in the foster system I did some research. Teenagers post their foster stories online all the time so I read a few. Separating from their foster siblings or real siblings is one of the most popular problems they complain about."

"Do you need help?" Pilote asked, "I can help with these details. I'm good at computers."

"I am too," I told him. "We can help figuring out all the details before we agree to enroll in school."

Seth smiled, "I love this."

"Love what?" I grinned.

"I am finally surrounded by people who share my intelligence and skills. I grew up being smarter than everyone around me. I'm used to doing everything by myself."

I laughed, "You do not have to worry about that anymore, I can assure you. Although, I am sure you're still smarter than all of us."

"I can guarantee it," Pilote laughed.

A few days later Seth, Pilote, and I organized every detail we needed to enroll in school. We met in the meeting room before leaving for school. Jasmine and I stood in the middle, as we did the first day, and the others surrounded us. "Remember," I told them, "That we cannot use our abilities in or around school grounds. Our mission is to learn what the human world thinks of us. We need to learn as much as possible about the human world and we cannot do that if anyone knows about our abilities."

"Blend in," Jasmine added, "and join clubs if you can. There will be dozens of clubs to join so there has to be something everyone is interested in. We can all join something we enjoy and that will help us connect with humans, which will help in the long run."

"One more thing," I said, "Don't let anyone see you going home. Never go straight home. Follow the maps Seth showed us before. He had us memorize them for a reason. Use one of them every single time you go home because we cannot afford to have anybody following us either. Only use your abilities to go home using one of the tactics we created after getting a far enough distance away from the school."