Chapter 20: Almost Death

The chosen ones were ready to move when I stopped them, “Shh! Don’t move a muscle!” I managed to whisper.

            We all stood there in silence and suddenly everyone else knew why. The Silthra were at the door, whispering to each other. They really did find us. It was the same voices Pilote and I heard earlier.

“There not in there,” one of them said. “This isn’t it; it’s just another basement.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because they would be screaming in pain if they did. Those bullets were covered in ash that would kill them instantly. This isn’t the place we thought it was. We need another idea.”

            We silently waited until we knew they were gone and the chosen ones ran to help us. John carried me and Vince carried Pilote down to the palace. I couldn’t concentrate on anything around me; the pain was too bad. I felt myself wanting to slip into unconsciousness. I knew when we entered Murera because the Tigmas gasped and screamed in horror at the sight of us. Pilote and I were probably covered in blood, but I was too limp to move a muscle to look. All I could think about was the pain in my stomache.

Pilote! Pilote! I suddenly screamed in my head.

Rolla…

Pilote, are you okay? Please tell me you’re okay!

We can’t die, Rolla. We can’t die so why does it hurt?

Pilote… I knew he would be able to tell I was crying. I couldn’t help it. John and Vince made their way into the palace and lowered us onto my bed. Both of our parents ran into the room, but the only thing I did was look over at Pilote.

Don’t cry.

I can’t help it. I winced in pain, it hurts. They shot you too.

He reached over and held my hand lightly before thinking to me, I’m right here.

            I screamed out in pain for the first time and my parents ran over to my side. The chosen ones were circled around the bed and Pilote’s parents were by his side too. Everyone had tears in their eyes, but didn’t know how to help. Jasmine was the last one to enter the room. Even the nurse arrived before she did. She was just staring at Pilote and I in horror. I wonder if my parents have been updating her on any of this. Probably not, I thought. They want her to stay out of it, and she wants to stay out of it too.

“It’s covered in ash,” the nurse replied, “because they’re the Samoulte, they’ll live, but because it’s the type of ash that kills our kind, they’ll be in a lot of pain; for days… maybe weeks…”

“Is there anything that can help their pain?” mom asked.

“I have this supplement,” she said pulling a bottle out of her bag, “It’s used whenever any one of our kind gets inured. We heal fast, but this will help it be painless. Put it on their wound every day until it’s gone. It should get rid of at least half their pain. It will also rid their body of the ash poison and the bullet.”

“Thank you nurse,” dad said.

“Yes thank you very much,” Delia said. “You have no idea how much we appreciate this.”

“It’s my pleasure,” the nurse said, “I hope they get better too. They’re our last hope. They don’t deserve to die so soon.”

I was awake through the whole thing screaming out in pain every so often while every stood and watched. I didn’t like that so many people were in here. Every so often I would hear Pilote screaming in pain too, which would make me cry harder. It was like the pain was twice as bad for both of us since we were soul mates. We’re connected. The connection made it harder for both of us to heal because we felt the other’s pain too. After an hour the chosen ones left to go to bed, and Pilote parents left along with my parents. Jasmine was the very last person to leave. Things have been weird ever since Caprika and Odyss came to me because I don’t know what to say to her and what not to.