Chapter 27: The Truth Gets Complicated

Chapter 27: The Truth gets Complicated

                        I separated from Pilote and my parents led me out. They were on each side of me and we walked down the steps to Murera. I hope my parents didn’t see everything we did when we interrupted. I’m sure Caprika and Odyss are going to be waking me up in my dreams tonight. The citizens stopped to look at us, probably wondering what was happening. I saw a few parents stop their kids when a few of them came rushing at us with pieces of paper and cameras to talk to me. I could feel their eyes on me as my parents opened the doors to the prison and I walked in without taking any pictures or signing any autographs. I couldn’t afford for anybody to know why I’m here yet. Who knows how many more people went up to see what our house looks like. I didn’t think it was that easy for people to get up there, but now that I know it is it causes a big problem. The guards led me to Nikki’s cell and I stood just outside it. The guards were close by, but not enough to hear us, which is good. Nikki stood up from her bed and walked over to the door of the cell. Her hair was perfectly straight and her make up wasn’t messed up at all.

“You’re probably feeling pretty great of yourself right now aren’t you?” she asked. She looked up at me and our eyes met. The evil was gone from her eyes. It was replaced with what seemed like desperation, which is exactly what I needed.

“I told you and I’ve told everybody,” I said, “I’m doing this for our people. I’m going to save them and I’m going to give them a life they deserve. I’m going to make sure no one gets in the way of that. Today it just happened to be you getting in the way.”

“It doesn’t matter,” she said. “The reason I did what I did is because we have no chance. The couple that lives above us has all the control.”

“No they don’t,” I argued. I let a small laugh leave my lips.

“We’re in their basement Rolla!”

“Nikki, that couple is dead!” I yelled.

“And how do you know?” she asked and crossed her arms over her chest. She doesn’t believe me.

“Because they were my adopted parents,” I answered, “And I lived with them for 16 years. Trust me, I know whether they have control or not.”

“Then who killed them?” she asked.

“I did.”

“What?! You killed them?!”

“Yes and I don’t regret it,” I replied. “They were spies working for the Silthra. All that’s left upstairs is a bunch of ruins.”

“You blew them up! Couldn’t you just have shot them or something?”

“I’m tired of you acting like you know everything!” I yelled. “I didn’t blow them up; they tried to blow me up! Luckily, I escaped. Not that I would have died anyway, but they didn’t know that. How many times did you visit them?”

“I lied,” she said. “The day you came to Murera I didn’t visit them. I was on the computer system. I needed the guys to think I was visiting someone.”

“Why?”

“I had a feeling they were lying to me. If I was going to be on their side I needed to know everything they did. I needed to know who was ahead. I searched through their computer, but they didn’t have anything I didn’t already know in there. It was a rip off. I lied to the guys because I wanted them to believe it was no big deal. They didn’t know I was a spy. I’m really not that evil. I deserve to be number one! I can’t die and have absolutely nobody remember me! I’ve worked too hard for that!”