Ruby: What to do

"Have things you used to enjoy feel like a chore now?"

"Yes..."

"Do you find it hard to become motivated?"

"definitely."

"Do you find yourself changing moods quickly?"

"sometimes."

"Any change in appetite or weight?"

"My Zaydeh's lost three pounds since football ended. Soon he'll be all skin and bones! Oh my poor baby!"

The doctor paused as Sheila hugged Ike fiercely. When she was done he continued his questions.

"Any trouble sleeping or sleeping excessively?"

"It depends on what day. Usually I'm up all night or I sleep all day..."

 The doctor flipped through his papers. Ike looked at him nervously. Typically a doctor's visit was like a pat on the back and a free lollypop since Ike was in good shape and always happy. Today felt like a chore, today was full of fear. Ike had spoken honestly when the doctor asked him questions and his mom had butted in too. Apparently she even talked to him privately on three different occasions.

"Ike, I'm going to be frank with you since you're a very mature and levelheaded teen."

Ike's eye twitched. The nerves were starting to get to him. Why couldn't he just blurt it out. The doctor looked at him waiting for a response and begrudgingly Ike nodded. "Yeah, thanks. So.. What am I sick or something?" He laughed but the doctor's serious face didn't move. Sheila squeezed Ike's hand. Ike's smile faded. The doctor gathered some pamphlets from his wall. He handed copies to both Ike and Sheila.

"Dealing with depression?" Ike read the first pamphlet out loud. The doctor offered a small smile. 

"It seems like mild depression since you're functioning quite well. I'm afraid that these reoccurring episodes of depression may interfere with your everyday life if you don't seek treatment."

"Oh my God, doctor what can we do? Is there medicine? What's the treatment? WILL MY ZAYDEH EVER BE THE SAME?" Without realizing it Sheila had begun shaking the doctor. Ike smiled a little. He didn't want to focus on what an official diagnosis meant. 

"Well there's therapy and medication may help but you'll have to see a psychiatrist fi-first!" He shouted while Sheila continued to shake him in her fit of worry. 

*

Ike looked at his twiddling thumbs. His therapist now was looking over a long list of Ike's goals for the next school year. She'd asked for a list of five things and Ike like always  had gone above and beyond her expectations. His list consisted of about 100 goals. Ike waited patiently as she read through them. "I'm impressed, Ike." She smiled. Finally the nerves rolled off his shoulders. "I see some of your goals mention Firkle. That's your ex boyfriend right?" For a second Ike wanted to lash out of spite but instead he smiled big like an idiot. 

"YUP!" He covered his flushed face. "uh, is it stupid one of my goals is to get back together with him?" He looked away embarrassed.

"No, that's perfectly fine! What matters is you're finding ways to stay motivated and happy. So long as your happiness isn't dependent on one person than you're goals are fine. I want you to focus on your hobbies and inner peace. Do what makes you happy. We may consider medication in the future if you feel like nothing helps, alright?"

Ike nodded and rubbed the arm of his chair. The last thing he ever wanted was to take medication. He'd heard the horror stories about how it numbed people and made them like zombies. He would much rather be depressed than a numb zombie.