Leo:What Makes a House a Home?

I made Fredrick a long time ago(for my kylexreader novel) and using him in this book was a last minute desicion so any similiarities between him and other goths are pure coincidence.(dismiss this A/N if you have never read my Kylexreader cuz otherwise this note makes no sense)

A small house. Well at least it was a house, it was better than skipping back from apartment to apartment, or sharing rooms with other families. This was their house. Somewhere he could finally call his own. Right now he sat silently in the bright kitchen room. The windows splashing the room with sunlight and the singing of birds. On the other side of the room stood his mom. The goth looked calmy at his mother, her back was to him. She was stacking dishes. "Ma..."

"Mhm." She hummed. The long curly haired goth swallowed hard.

"Mom, I have a confession to make..." She set the dish down and walked towards him. He took a deep breath and sighed "I'm gay." He put his hands forward presenting himself proudly. He tried to keep a straight face but broke into a huge grin and a fit of laughter as his mother smacked him in the head.

"Aye mijo! I thought you wanted to talk about something serious!" He smiled a little rubbing the spot on his head where she had smacked him.

"Why can't I speak Spanish? I mean I can understand it but..." She laid a hand on his shoulder and took a seat. Something was definitely on his mind if he was stalling this long. "I mean, mom you're half Mexican so I'm a quarter Mexican so I should be able to speak it right?"

"Que te pasa hijo?" His gaze fell to the floor, he didn't want her to ask what was wrong. He didn't think she'd catch on that quick.

"I'm worried about Fredrick." A long sigh escaped her mouth.

"Nunca voy a saber porque, ese nino-"

"My cousin, mom." He interjected quickly, she nodded delicately.

"Yes. I'll never understand why your primo got you into this crazy phase." She fiddled with a long curly piece of his hair between her thumb and index finger.

"You need a haircut." Leo pushed her hand away as gently as he could with a sudden rage building inside him, phase? Who said this was just a phase?

"Let me stop you right there, ma." She raised an eyebrow in shock at the disrespect she was getting, with every word Leo's voice was raising a little louder. "This isn't just a phase, okay?" He looked away and added with a mumble. "It isn't a phase, at least not for Fredrick." Her eyes grew softer. "For God's sake, he lost his mom." His mother's eyes flared and Leo winced at the gesture.

"I mean... aunt Mel... We lost aunt Mel too..." There were tears in his mother's eyes but he refused to shut up, it wasn't in his nature. " He actually feels the way he looks, it's his way to cope. I guess..." He felt her hand stroke his hair. He didn't feel like getting sentimental for anyone. First, he wanted to talk about Fredrick, his cousin had changed so much over the summer.

"Ah, mijo..." Leo's jaw clenched, this wasn't supposed to be about him.

"I thought you'd be happy for me anyway. Because of this phase, the normal kids stop calling me a fruity faggot. I don't even get pushed around anymore. Plus I'm bonding more with my cuz." He smiled but her hand left his head.

"But I know who you are hijo. This isn't you." His gaze fell on the floor. To admit he wanted to be goth so the others would leave him alone was to admit ultimate defeat. Especially since he basically clung to Fredrick's side.

He smiled again looking up at her. "I'm happy, ma. I'm meeting new people. Really interesting people." She laughed at the implication and Leo couldn't help but remember his cousin. Why couldn't he be here with them and laugh? It had been so long since he heard Fredrick laugh.

"Why didn't we take him in after it happened? After aunt Mel died... I see the cuts and bruises. The way uncle-"

"THEY ARE NOT OUR FAMILY!" He was taken back at her rage. He should've shut up. He should've let it go, but again it wasn't in his nature.

"You never told me how she died... I loved her too ma." She was back to drying dishes, her back to him but he could still hear the tears and see them sliding down her cheeks.

Maybe that was enough for this conversation. There was a reason Leo acted so goofy if he didn't people would be crying all the time. "You know I kissed Fredrick." There was a stifled snort from his mom muffled by tears. It made him smile. "It wasn't like tongue or open mouth just a peck. He was being a puta." She stumbled her way to him and hugged him laughing through her tears.

"Por dios. What am I gonna do with you?" her voice was barely audible.

"I love you, mama. I'm sorry. I talk too much."