Karen: Love Letters

He was standing there, just a couple feet away. Karen could just take a few steps and she'd be standing next to him. Oh, God... That thought made her blush. Thank God she wasn't a complete pervert like Kenny, then thousands of thoughts would be flooding her mind. All she had to do was say one word. Just say, 'Hi Firkle.' That's it. He seemed better than yesterday. He was off crutches, his bandages were hidden by his black pants. He looked forward and didn't acknowledge her. She took a deep breath, she was going to do it, say at least one word.

"One word." She quickly covered her mouth. No, STUPID BRAIN, DON'T SAY ONE WORD, SPEAK SPEAK GODDAMN IT!

"What?" Firkle turned to her confused. He didn't have a scowl but a dull line engulfed his mouth. Karen liked that. He was so mysterious.

"Umm... Wanna hang out for lunch?" He shrugged and continued to look forward. Karen wasn't entirely sure what that meant but she was guessing that it meant something like 'sure whatever, just shut up, conformist'

The bus showed up and Karen immediately tried sitting next to Firkle, he put his backpack on the seat next to him. "I'm saving this spot, sorry." His expression was dull and his words showed no emotion but the way Firkle looked around waiting for someone to show up convinced Karen that he wasn't lying. Karen sat alone hoping whoever Firkle was waiting for showed up and really hoped maybe one day she could be that person.

Firkle got off the bus and refused to look up, whoever he waited for did NOT show up. Maybe it was his ex-girlfriend, he had mentioned yesterday. Karen really wanted him to be over her. She so badly wanted to replace her. Still for now being a friend was just as good. Somehow Karen had lost Firkle, so there was no more talking to him for the day... Oh well, Karen had another plan. An elaborate scheme that would ultimately make the boy fall for her, okay maybe not that but at least he would know her feelings.

She hesitated before going up to Ike. He wasn't smiling. It was the first thing Karen noticed. He rested his elbows on his knees and put both his hands on his face as he looked down between his legs. A girl with strawberry blond hair patted him on the shoulders. "Why so glum, chum?" She laughed. Karen instantly didn't like her. She was Ruby, Ruby Tucker. A confident but rude girl. Ike mumbled a couple things inaudible to Karen that's when she decided to walk over. She didn't want to walk in in the middle of their conversation so it was now or never.

"Hi, Ike... Can you help me with that thing now?" Ruby pushed herself between the two.

"Wow! What's going on here? Are you two.. Oh. My. God. IKE, YOU LITTLE PLAYER!" She shouted side-hugging him with one arm around his neck. He squeaked at her sudden movement.

"Uh, no... Karen and I are... Uh.."

"Friends." Karen confirmed. Ike smiled wide, he liked that idea. After almost forgetting her existence it was nice to know that Ike had been forgiven and Karen was remembered.

"Besides, I was just telling you how I'm not ready for a relationship, Rubes. And how I'll probably spend the rest of my life alone, and retire to Canada so I don't have to face my disappointed mother, and I'll die alone." The two girls laughed at that picture but Ike's expression was sad, he missed Firkle.

It was lunch time and Ruby sat on the table watching Karen write on a pretty pink piece of paper as Ike told her what to write. Ike and Karen sat on the table's seats next to each other and Ruby watched curiously. "'Your being is as meaningful as the sun rises', are you sure you wanna write that, Karen?" The brunette looked up at Ruby in thought.

"I don't know... I've never written a love note to a guy before... That's why I asked Ike for help." Karen looked to Ike and waited for him to say more so she could write.

"Uh, I've admired you from afar. The world around me makes little to no sense. The world is contradicting but I hope maybe you and I can be the only thing that does make sense." Ruby let out a short laugh.

"How cliché, Ike. Where'd you read that? Shakespeare? Come on Karen, just admit to the guy that you loooove him. Guys LOVE confidence." She patted Karen on the back energetically hoping her confidence would rub off on her.

Karen tapped her chin with the pen in thought. "Hmm..."

"and if that doesn't work, flash him your tits." Ruby added.

Ike rolled his eyes."Yeah cuz you've had a thousand boyfriends. Ruby."

"Well, a thousand seems like a lot but I've had my share. What about you Broflovski. I don't recall you having had ANY relationships so far." The corner's of his lips twitched like Ike wanted to smile but instead, he frowned.

"Whatever. At least I haven't had so many tongues shoved down my throat then have them leave two weeks later. The Tucker legacy sure holds up on that part." Ruby turned a dark shade of red.

"THE TUCKERS ARE NOT WHORES!" She yelled so loud that people around them stared.

"Oh my God."  Ruby covered her red face and looked away while Karen laughed.

"You guys, suck." She mumbled.

Ike smiled and continued to instruct Karen on what to write.

Firkle had ditched all day so Karen hadn't seen him. She was starting to enjoy her little posse. Her, Ruby and Ike. She just wished Firkle could somehow be a part of it too. It was a little after school and Karen forgot one of her books in her lockers. She was getting ready to leave when she saw Firkle. He put his hand up as if to wave but it seemed he didn't have the strength or willingness to actually wave. He opened his locker and his eyes widened a bit at the sight of Karen's pink letter. She could feel her heart thumping in her chest, she couldn't be here when he read it. She was too cowardly to sign it, she'd keep sending those letters until she wrote one worthy enough to spill her guts to him. For now, though she'd run. Kenny was probably waiting outside. He still attended South Park community college unlike most of the other kids he'd grown up with.