Karen: Dancing with a Devil

It was another day at South Park High. The four were standing around the lunch tables an annoying sound overwhelming the usual ambiance of the school in the morning. It was as usual Leo. He couldn't stop laughing, his laughter was so loud Firkle cringed. Ike lay a hand on his boyfriend's shoulder and gave him a sympathetic look. Fredrick looked at them apologetically for his cousin's behavior, again. Leo was on the floor laughing by the time Shera finally decided to speak. She twisted a piece of blond hair between her fingers, unsure.

"It's not that bad is it?" She said in a low almost girly voice. Karen combed her hair from behind.

"No! It's pretty! I just think the goth make up is a little..." That set Leo off again. Firkle's eye twitched. The noise was physically hurting him.

Shera sighed. "So take off the makeup too? Fuck I hate this dare." Fredrick touched her head as if this were unreal. What happened to the dark scowling girl he had fallen for all those years ago?

"I think you'll look nice." Fredrick offered her. Shera turned to him glaring, along with Karen. He backed away cautiously. Ike gave Firkle a confused look, he responded with a dull look. Did he seriously not understand the subtle love triangle within their friend group? Why was it so hard for him to understand social cues? He must have been scowling more than usual because he didn't feel Karen tug her arm until she began to speak to him.

"Weren't you supposed to come to school with no makeup on?" Karen laughed. Leo's eyes brightened.

"YEAH! Yeah, I wanted to see you without all the dreary dark gunk." 

 Firkle glared and the girls giggled with a pout from the curly haired goth.

"The dare was when school starts. You didn't say the first day of school. Just when school starts." Shera glared.

"I fucking hate loopholes." The now blond goth mumbled. Leo laughed.

"OH MY GOD IT'S FUNNIER WHEN SHE TALKS!" The laughter began to fill the cafeteria again but Karen decided to quickly put a stop to it by punching him.

Fredrick nodded. "Don't listen to him, you look great. You're the prettiest girl here." Just as the words left him, he covered his mouth. Karen tugged Shera's hair roughly.

"Hey! Newsflash even though it's blond now it's still attached to my fucking head." Karen didn't bother replying.

Ike wanted to stay with the group but soon was stolen by Fillmore and Ruby. The two dragged him from the cafeteria to the football field. He was dreading having to deal with the football jerk.

"A game? So what, we've been practicing." Fillmore rolled his eyes, Ruby sat on the benches mindlessly scrolling through her social media.

He poked Ike in his chest with a firm finger. "Not just a game Ike, it's bigger than homecoming. It's the Winter Formal game. It's the game breaker or maker. Plus it's good way to get the girls for the dance afterward." Ike motioned his head to Ruby. Fillmore turned red.

"There's more than just me on the team, Canada, you and the others need nice girls... Or you know whatever floats your boats. I'm just saying we better kick ass. So practice should be intense." Ike sighed.

"Yeah, I got this. Don't worry."

Karen had helped Shera with her new makeup and hair but now she felt empty. Why was she helping a girl who Fredrick might like? It didn't make sense but still, she did it. Maybe she was too nice after all. The last class of the day was coming and she promised herself not to get fixated on stupid Fredrick if he wanted to play with her feelings then he wasn't worth her time. Instead, she would focus on something else, anything. Ruby's words rung in her mind, says the one who undresses her teacher with her eyes every time she sees him. Did Karen really like her music teacher Mr. Jacobs? He was very attractive, and very young compared to the other teachers here. She swallowed hard, why should she focus at all on any boy? Besides, it wasn't like she had any chance with him... Or did she?