Part 28

*Selena's POV*

I woke up in a cold sweat. The room was pitch black so I turned on the lamp on my bed side table before grabbing the baby monitor and going into Justin's room.

I set the monitor on the TV stand before poking him in the shoulder.

"Justin," I whispered poking him again.

He jumped up in the bed. "Emma? What is it? What's wrong?"

"Justin it's me," I said.

He scooted over on the bed pulling me down and on the bed. "What's wrong, love?"

"I had a bad dream," I said resting me head on his chest.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Something was happening with Bentley so we took him to the doctor's and they told us he was deaf," I said holding onto him tighter.

I heard him sigh. "Baby, that wasn't a dream."

I sighed after him. "I was afraid you'd say that."

"Hey, it's going to be okay. We are meeting with the specialist today and we are going to figure everything out. It's going to be fine," he said rubbing his hand on my back.

He held me until we both feel back into a peaceful slumber.

-

"Hello, Mr. Bieber and Ms. Gomez. My name is Dr. Peters. I am an audiologist. I will be Bentley's 'ear doctor' for the time being," he said with a smile.

Dr. Peters was younger probably in his late 20s. He was taller with dark brown curly hair. He was pretty attractive, and by pretty I mean he was attractive in every way possible.

However, I was too upset with the fact that my son was deaf to care about how this man looked. If it were any other day of the week, I would have been flirting my butt off just to tick off Justin.

"I'm Justin," he said shaking his hand. "And this is Selena, Bentley's mom, and this little guy is Bentley."

I held Bentley in my arms because I honestly wanted no one but me to even come close to him. I had to protect him.

"It's nice to meet you all," Dr. Peters said taking a seat. "I got the results back from the lab this morning and it looks like Bentley did get it from genetics. It most likely didn't have anything to do with the two of you, it just a mutation in his genes."

"How often does that happen?" Justin asked.

Justin was more of the 'I want to know the background' unlike me who just wanted answers on how to fix it.

"About 1 out of every 1,000 are born deaf. Bentley was most likely born with slight hearing loss that just got worse as time went by."

"So there is good and bad news," Dr. Peters spoke again. "Which do you want first?"

*Justin's POV*

"Good," I said giving Selena a small smile.

I knew that Selena was having a hard time with all of this. I was too. We all were but that didn't give her the right to go around all pouty because something didn't go her way.

"There is a reverse surgery that we can do," the doctor said with a smile.

"And the bad?" Selena asked speaking for the first time since we got here.

"There is a 40 percent chance it won't work."

"Do we want to put him in surgery if there is a chance it won't work?" Selena asked looking over at me.

"Selena, if there is a chance to let him hear again, I'm taking it." I turned back to the doctor before asking him what would be happening in the surgery.

He explained how they would go in and replace one of the parts of his ear and that should make him hear again.

"When's the soonest we can get him in?" I asked eager to move on with the surgery.

Dr. Peters typed some stuff on his computer, looking to see what was available.

"We have an opening for Wednesday of next week."

"We'll take it," I said happily.

"What's the chance that he won't wake up from the surgery at all?" Selena asked.

"98 percent of people do wake up. It's not that big of a surgery so there's not too much that can go wrong."

Selena nodded and leaned back in the chair.

"Now to get him fitted for his temporary hearing aids," Dr. Peters said clapping his hands together.

They got Bentley the size hearing aids that he needed before trying them on. I had to admit they did look a little... abnormal but I would rather him look a little funny and hear them him look regular and not be able to hear.

We talked some more about how being deaf would affect our lives.

He suggested that we all took sign language classes and they even had baby signing for Bentley.

He also told us that Bentley being deaf would affect his speech; which would be why he hadn't spoken yet.

"That went well. Wouldn't you say?" I asked once we got home safe and sound.

"Well? Really Justin? If it 'went well,'" she said putting air quotes around the words, "they would have told us that this was all a mistake and my son wasn't really deaf."

"Selena Marie Gomez, I understand that you are upset about all of this. I am too trust me, but you can't just pout! You are supposed to be his mother, you're supposed to be strong when he can't be. If doesn't help anything or anyone if you are being negative all the time. Yeah, something bad did happen but we have to be mature. This is what comes along with being a parent, so either accept it or give up," I said harshly before getting off the sofa and getting as far away from her as possible. I was done trying to justify her actions.