To late for remorse

All night I cried my heart out on top of the mountain. The sun was about to rise, and soon it will be time for the punishment. I wish I could throw my body on top of hers and become a cushion for her, right before the whip slices her skin. I would gladly take her place if I could, but the law states that when a woman disrespects a man in public, she must pay the price. Her grandmother Elizabeth was also punished in the same way years ago, for the same reason, but she received five lashes because the crowd called out for mercy. Zina is to receive only two lashes, because the law states that if a woman is with child, two lashes are enough.

My heart twisted with pain at the thought of the leather whip scaring her beautiful body. I dropped to my knees, and gut wrenching sobs tore from my throat. I howled out loud and the vibration of my screams, shook the mountain. What am I to do now, it is almost time. The law states that I have to be the one who whips her. How can I endure that?

I trembled with fear, knowing that even one lash could break Zina's body. And what of my babe? My child, whom I have sentenced to death! I beat my chest with my fists and howled with pain. Even if she survives the whipping, she will hate my guts! I threw myself on the ground, and cried a river. If I was eaten alive by ten lions the pain would have been less!

**********

Christopher, the Twelve Council, and even the Masters, watched from above, as Gabriel beat his chest repeatedly. They know what's in his heart, and knew that Christopher forgave him. There was nothing they could do to stop the whipping, for it is written in the Book of Life. Soon, the first set of prophecies will be complete, everything is going according to plan.

Christopher stepped through the light and returned home, to be there for his daughter, when she will go through her pain and suffering. He was at peace with the fact that Gabriel will be the one to whip her. He knew that the love that Gabriel feels for his daughter is everlasting, and he prayed that Zina will find it in her heart to forgive him.

The Twelve Council, and the Masters, sat in their assigned golden chairs, and waited to see the prophecies unfold. They prayed for the mother and her babe to survive the ordeal, and chanted an extra prayer for Gabriel, because they knew that he will need it when the task was over and done with.

************

The people came from far and near, crowding the courtyard, as they shoved and pushed to get a good view. Most of them were here to witness Zina's grandmother get her whipping many years ago. It was an awful sight, one they shall never forget.

Ariana narrowed her eyes at the massive crowd, and wondered if they will ask for mercy. She hoped not, because she wanted Zina to get what she deserves! Did the princess think that she is above the law? A smile curved her lips, as she thought of the possibility, of Zina losing the babe. It would release Gabriel of the responsibility of raising the little bastard if it were his.

Bella walked out of the castle, and made her way to the center of the courtyard. Her only child, Zina, will be punished in the circle of the yard. Tears glided down her face, as she looked around her, and saw all the people. Were they here to support her daughter, or were they here to judge, and humiliate her?

Christopher found his way to his wife, and took her in his strong arms. He had to turn his heart to stone, so he would not be able to feel the pain, of watching his daughter receive her punishment. He pulled his wife gently out of the circle, and escorted her to their thrones.

Christopher's entire family and friends, including the Fay's, were all standing around the courtyard, dreading the moment the ordeal starts. Mary wiped her tears and prayed that she will not have another vision ever in her entire life again, because it was not a good thing to know when bad things were about to happen.