Chapter Fifty-Four

I stood frozen. Staring up at the chilling signal in the sky for several moments before my feet started to pull me in the direction I was supposed to be in. It was time, tonight was the night and I could hear my heart beating even over the steady thumping of my feet down the corridors. I still had no idea where Draco currently was, but seeing as I already checked a lot of the usual hiding spots for him, I ran to the last place I thought he might be. The astronomy tower. 

"Ah, Ms.Soloria. I was wondering when I might see you again." Dumbledore was standing by the edge of the railing, alone. He looked to be in a weakened state, barely staying on his feet. Draco stood beside me, visibly trembling with his wand pointed to our headmaster.

Dumbledore of course knew what was coming. But that didn't make things any easier for me. 

"Are you okay?" Draco whispered, turning to look at me with widened eyes. I nodded my head and gave his arm a squeeze. 

"I told you I wouldn't let you die, remember?" I asked with a hint of a smile. Draco closed his eyes for a moment before turning back to Dumbledore.

"You don't need to do this, Draco. We can find another way." Dumbledore tried reasoning with him.

"No." Draco growled. "You don't understand, I have to kill you. Or he's gonna kill me."

"Why not let Ali do it? Ali, my dear, its okay. You can do it." Said Dumbledore softly, turning his attention to me. I could hear Bellatrix's cackle echoing in the corridor below, and I panicked. I held my arm out behind me preventing her, Snape, and several other death eaters from coming inside.

"You best let us in there girl!" One of them shouted. 

"No! This is not your job, this is not your mission." I glared at them, keeping them stuck behind a mental shield. Snape widened his eyes at me, urging me to get on with what needed to be done. 

"Ali, sweet Ali. You know what needs to be done." Dumbledore told me. I shook my head to him, tears threatening to spill over at any second. 

"I won't do it." I whimpered. "I can't do this." 

You need him to trust you Ali, think of the end game. I'm going to die anyway. 

I was shocked hearing Dumbledore speak in my head, I had gotten so good at keeping others out  of my mind. My subconscious must have let him inside without my knowledge. 

I coughed out a sob and held my hand out towards my headmaster. There was no going back after this. I stood stuck between the death eaters shouting at me to kill him, Dumbledore egging me on silently, and Draco who was trembling only inches away from me. Every party in this room needed the same outcome to happen, but that didn't mean I wanted to be the one to do it. The entire school would surely know what I did, and there would no longer be questions as to where my allegiances lined. 

"Please," Dumbledore pleaded. 

I closed my eyes and silently thought of the curse. "I'm sorry." I whispered before opening my eyes and shooting green sparks towards my headmaster. The spell hit him hard, knocking him backwards and over the railing of the astronomy tower. I dropped both my hands, letting down the shield that was keeping out the death eaters. 

"Well done!" Bellatrix cried out before grabbing Draco's arm and dragging him downstairs, the rest following behind. 

"Ali, we must go now." Snape said, gently grabbing my arm. But once he touched my skin he fell down groaning in pain. 

"Don't touch me. Just stay away from me." I whispered, looking down as Snape recovered and pulled himself from the ground. 

"You can't stay here. He will want to hear what happened from you." 

"I don't care." I mumbled. 

"If you don't come, then everything you've done will be for nothing. If you don't come, who will protect Draco?" Snape asked.

I glared at Snape before silently following down the staircase behind him. 

I shot my hand out, causing Bellatrix to fly backwards the second she set fire to Hagrid's Hut. 

"That's not part of the plan." I growled, waving my hand and extinguishing the fire quickly. 

"How dare you!" She screeched pulling her wand out, pointing it between my eyes. I glared and she shriveled back in instant pain, dropping her wand and clutching her head. 

"This mission was mine, not yours. You do one more thing I don't like and I won't stop next time! Now let's get out of here!" I inwardly winced, but if I was going to convince them I was on their side then I needed to act like I was one of them. 

"Ali! How could you!?" I heard Harry's unmistakable voice crying out behind us. 

I waved an arm causing Harry to fly backwards. He grunted hitting the ground hard. 

"Oh, let's take him with us! The Dark Lord would be so pleased!" Bellatrix cheered, trying to run to him.

"No!" I shouted, a surge of energy bursting out of me, sending her flying into another death eater and rendering them both unconscious. 

"Ali," Harry whimpered. I turned around and jogged back to him before kneeling down beside him. "Why?" 

"Never doubt Dumbledore, Never doubt in his reasoning to have you trust me. Dumbledore knew more than either you or I could ever comprehend. You'll understand one day, Harry. You'll understand why I needed to do this." I told him, a tear rolling down my cheek and falling into the grass. 

"I don't know when I'll see you again, we've both got different paths right now. Just know I love you, and I'm sorry." I whispered, before jumping up and running back towards Snape. 

I knew If I had stayed and actually talked to Harry then I would have stayed behind with him, I would have ruined everything I did. Dumbledore would have eventually died, but this guilt would always be sitting inside of me for the rest of my life.

 Voldemort still had my Mother as a prisoner, my Father was there doing god knows what, and my best friend was entangled inside all of this mess. I knew Harry could handle himself in whatever was about to happen, but my place was needed elsewhere, and I was positive our paths would cross again one day when the time is right.....or wrong.