Chapter Twenty Nine - Nightmares

Rose's POV

It was my first night sleeping in Marius' castle, and to be honest, I was really scared. I had never slept in a castle before and it felt so different without Lestat here with me. He's been here with me ever since I was little.

Normally he's always there to wrap his arms around me and pull me close to his chest, reminding me I'm his. He was my comfort blanket in a way. And it really hurt deep down inside to know that he wasn't here. 

Lestat was gone, and it crushed me inside. But I knew I couldn't let myself dwell on it repeatedly. I had to try and be strong so that I didn't worry anyone further. They were already checking up on me enough as it is. I didn't need to give them another reason to worry more.

But part of me still couldn't help but think about Lestat. I worry about him, even though Marius and Louis tell me not to. I know they keep saying how he'll be fine in the end. But I'm starting to think otherwise.

I mean I know Akasha won't kill him or anything. But that doesn't mean she's above torturing him. I know if he resists her, she'll torture him until he gives in. But that's not all I'm worried about. I'm worried about who he'll become.

If what Marius says is true, then Lestat will become a completely different person. It will be as if I never existed, and that's what worries me. I'm worried that I won't be able to bring him back in the end, despite my efforts. 

It was these thoughts of Lestat that haunted my dreams every time I tried to sleep. I'm really glad that I had Louis watching over me. He helped make the night bearable. I actually managed to get some sleep, knowing he was there to protect me. 

I honestly didn't know if I could've made it through this first night without him. I was really happy that he was here. Not just to protect me and keep me safe. But because of how he could calm me and let me know that everything was going to be okay in the end. 

He always manages to help me and make everything better. And I was really grateful for it. But to be honest, I also felt a little bad about keeping him here in my room at the same time. I felt like I was keeping Louis from his sleep. 

He claims that he doesn't need to sleep and that he's fine. But I still worry a little. I knew I couldn't make him watch over me like this every night. But maybe he could do it until I was adjusted to this place. 

At first I thought I was going to be able to sleep through the night easily. My wounds were now all healed and there wasn't this gnawing pain in my stomach anymore. I was actually feeling stronger than ever.

But that wasn't the case. Every time I managed to fall asleep, I ended up having these nightmares about Lestat. They were dreams about him with Akasha, she was torturing him. I could feel his pain, and hear him crying out.  

It was unbearable. Something deep inside me began to realize that this wasn't a dream. That somehow this was real, and it was happening right now. I wanted more than anything to be able to help Lestat, take him away from the pain he was feeling.

But I knew I couldn't. Instead all I could do watch as Akasha tortured him over and over again. It was horrible, it's like I was there, but I really wasn't. I felt helpless. I began to sob as Lestat cried out my name, longing to be with me. 

He was losing himself, I knew he wouldn't be able to hold out much longer. 

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

Lestat's POV

It's been a little over a day now since I parted with Rose. Leaving her side was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do since I became immortal, if not the hardest. The look on her face when she found out what was happening. It tore me apart.