Chapter 110

(Hosanna's POV)

Eric and I slept in after returning to the compound so late last night, if it could even be called night. In actuality, we arrived to our apartment close to four in the morning.  I'm sorry we missed church today but after the stress of last night and staying up until early morning to escort Edward and Myra to safety, there was no way we'd be able to make it.
I roll over and nuzzle my face into the crook of Eric's neck. I hear a sigh escape his lips and his arms tighten around me. He kisses the top of my head. I smile and close my eyes remembering the first time he did that in his old apartment.  That was the first time I thought he actually had feelings for me. I'm still so in love with him, every touch like the first. 
"What do you want to do today?" Eric asks me gently.
I think for a moment and recall what I heard planned by Zeke and Shauna.  "I hear that some of the Dauntless born are being taken out to go zip lining today. They do that every year with siblings in initiation. Maybe we could take some transfers," I say.
"You mean your Stiff friend," he states.
"Yeah," I nod. "We could offer to take some of the others if you want."
"I think she'd be better than the rest of the transfers. By what happened last night, I don't think we should take anyone else. It may be a disaster having to babysit all of them outside of the compound," my husband states.
I bite my lip in thought. "You're right. It would be a nice gesture but who knows what could happen. I guess there's a reason only family is usually invited. The rest can go after initiation, after they've proved they're one of us, faced their fears, and willing to take orders," I agree.

*****

I look around for Tris in the dormitory but she's not there.  Several of the other initiates are napping and the ones who are awake haven't seen her.  They must've had as rough of a night as I did, maybe worse.  I should make an announcement that they'll be safe now that the attackers were caught and being thoroughly monitored but it'll have to be later.  We need to get going if we want to make it on time. 
Eric and I decide to head out with Uriah, Lynn, Marlene, and Gabe.  They're not sure where we're headed but I can tell from the look in each of their eyes that they're glad to be invited with their siblings out of the compound today.
We hurry down a hallway on our path out of the Pit when we come across Tris sitting against the wall.  She's by herself and looks to be deep in thought. 
"There you are.  I've been looking for you," I say waving everyone else on.  Eric takes them to the tracks. 
"Why?  Is there something you needed?" she asks scraping around her nails. 
"Yeah, you're coming with me," I insist grabbing her hand and pulling her up.
"Where are we going?" she asks.
"It's a surprise but we're leaving the compound," I tell her.
"Is that allowed?" she questions.
"With members it is," I reply grinning.
We head to the tracks.  "Christina said that Edward and Myra quit," she tells me. 
"They're gone," I admit nodding. 
"How's his eye?" she questions. 
"Possibly blind," I frown.
"So... what happened? Can you tell me?" she asks hesitantly.
I glance around to see that we're completely alone. "I'm making an announcement later on but the two responsible for the attack are in lockup," I say.
"Lockup?" she questions.
"It's our underground prison," I explain.
"So they are being held accountable?" she confirms.
I nod. "Will they be thrown out?" Tris asks.
"Any more altercations and they might, one in particular," I say mumbling the last part.
"Who was it?" she asks.
"Who was missing in the dorm?" I question back.
"Peter and Drew," she responds quickly. She knew just like everyone else probably does.
I nod. "They were caught?" she questions.
"They ran from the dorm after the screams and I have them each admitting fault under serum," I say.
"Serum? What kind of serum?" she asks.
"The kind we use in interrogations. Candor uses the same. You can't talk about this though. We better hurry. We don't want to miss the train," I tell her pulling her along.
"Hosanna?" Tris calls out following behind me.
"Yeah," I reply.
"I think you're a really good leader and you're doing well here," she tells me.
"Thanks," I respond as I climb up the staircase to the door leading outside. I find my husband talking with Zeke, Shauna, and their siblings.  We join them. 
"What are we doing here?" Tris whispers to Uriah. 
I glance out of the corner of my eye to see him shrug.  "All I know is it's some sort of initiation ritual, something... dangerous," he says with wild eyes.
I can't help the laugh that bubbles out of my chest at his excitement.  Tris laughs, too.
"Hey, why's the Stiff here?" Gabe protests.
I raise my brows at him in question. "Oh yeah, I forgot you're friends," he mumbles apologetically.
"What's the deal with his piercing?" Tris asks me after he walks away.
"Who, Gabe?" I question. She nods.
I shrug. "Its called a septum piercing. It's not my favorite. It always reminds me of a bull," I say probably a little too honestly. She laughs so hard she has to cover her mouth with her hand.
The train finally signals its arrival with a loud blast from the horn. We run and jump on, Tris more graceful than I was expecting. We take some seats against the wall, Tris to my right and Eric to my left.
Shauna scoots closer to us and shakes Tris's hand from the other side of the train. I thought they had been introduced before. I guess not.
"I'm Shauna, Lynn's sister," she says.  Tris nods.
"I'm..." she starts but Shauna interrupts.
"I know. You're this Stiff. Four told me," Shauna grins.
Tris looks around the car searching for something. "Is he here?" she asks.
"Who? Four?" Shauna questions. Tris nods.
"Nah, I think this doesn't appeal to him anymore," she says waving a hand at nothing in particular.
Tris nods again. "So... what did he say about me?"
Shauna laughs softly glancing at me. "He said you're a Stiff. Why do you care?" she questions.
"If my trainer is talking about me, I want to know what he's saying," she responds boldly with her shoulders squared.
"Fair enough," Shauna shrugs.
When Tris looks down the car at some goofy thing Uriah is doing, Shauna looks to me and winks. She knows. 
They chat about Shauna and my brother during their initiation.  She explains how he helped train her to fight.  I see jealousy and devastation on Tris's face. 
"So how are things going between you and Zeke?" I question her. 
There's that lovestruck smile.  "Things are great," Shauna replies. 
Lynn begins a conversation with her sister and Tris seizes that moment to ask, "How does your brother know them?"
"Shauna and Zeke are his best friends since his initiation.  They've been dating for a while though and my brother is often the third wheel," I explain. 
Tris grins at hearing this.