Chapter 88 (Eric's POV)

I sigh in contentment this morning.  I wouldn't say Hosanna's been clingy, I'd say we have a fondness that's on par with the first week of our relationship or even our marriage.  Constant handholding, closeness—it's like we've started anew and I love it.  She's sitting on my lap for breakfast and we're feeding each other.  She's smiling more and I can't keep myself from continually embracing her.  I don't care who's watching us. 
I feel like the confrontation last night gave her a release on whatever cloud had been over her lately.  She looks well-rested and actually happier than I've seen her in a while. 
I notice that Marcus has his back to us and he's sitting with the Priors again.  They both were deeply disturbed last night but did offer to help him get through this even though he continued to deny everything.  Hosanna was right about them, they are really great people.  Their concern and regret last night just made me think of how deceitful Marcus is.  Andrew is supposedly his closest friend according to my wife and he had no idea. He looked completely horrified and distraught because of this. Marcus could have done practically anything and fooled just about everyone.
I feel Hosanna slide her hand up my neck and rest on my cheek.  I turn to look at her, breaking me out of the daze I'm in.  She kisses me gently and I return the affection.  She looks me in the eyes and smiles.  We continue on enjoying our breakfast together.  Our little moment is disrupted a minute later by someone sitting beside me.
"I assume he took the deal since he's sitting there and not in your holding facility," Jack grumbles setting his plate and cup down. 
"Yeah, but he continued to deny everything even with the evidence," I tell him.  Jack nods making a face. 
I notice Hosanna has stopped eating and her posture is more slumped.  I rub her back and she looks at me forcing a smile.  Just like that, her mood has shifted.  I pull her closer to me and whisper in her ear. 
"Darling, don't let it get you down," I say quietly to her. "You are an amazing person.  Your presence lights up the room."
She meets my eyes and I see a real smile. It's small but it's there.  "I love you," I tell her.  Her smile grows. "There's my girl."
Johanna joins us in the opposite seat from Jack.  She talks with my wife and in no time, she's laughing and happy once more. 

*****

This is the final day of lectures and I'm getting really tired of them.  I'm glad it's the last day.  I've struggled to keep my eyes open during the speeches and can't wait until this day is over. 
The last presentation finally ends and I can't even remember what it was about.  Hosanna took some notes so I glance over her shoulder and read it.  It turns out it wasn't that important but she seemed interested.  I just couldn't get into it today.  I find it hard to believe that Marcus is getting away with this.  At least he's not at the same lectures as us today though and he's not watching us every minute. 
I honestly just want to go back to our room tonight and be done for the day.  I'm really regretting talking to that guy from Candor last night at dinner.  He didn't have anything of substance to say compared to what Jack has been telling us, not to mention this whole situation with Marcus would've been avoided had I gone back with her.  I've been keeping my gun close—even throughout the night. 
Hosanna decides she wants to dress up for the last evening so we return to our room before dinner.  I grab my suit from the closet and a clean shirt, slipping them on.  I get ready quickly, sitting on the couch afterward and waiting for her to come out of the bathroom.  I saw Hosanna take a few things in there when we first arrived.  I sit back putting my arms around the top of the sofa. 
After waiting a while, she emerges.  I'm so in shock at her appearance that I have to do a double take. She has her makeup and hair done and my mouth drops at her walking through the room.  My goodness, she's beautiful.  I watch as she approaches the dresser, sliding some stockings on her legs.  She strides over to the closet and I close my mouth before I drool all over myself.  She unzips a bag and I'm glad she brought another dress since I sort of ruined the first one in my impatience. I hadn't realized what she had packed. She pulls out a full, black dress covered in purple flowers at the top.  I smirk.  Those look like the flowers in her bouquet from our wedding. 
"Eric, could you zip me up?" she asks after stepping into it.
I break out of my daze of gawking at her and move toward my wife.  I grasp the zipper in my hands and do as she asks.  I kiss her bare shoulder when I finish.  She sighs softly. 
"What are you thinking about?" I question her. 
"How I'm hungry and I want to dance," she says. 
I breathe through my nose.  "Alright," I nod.  Even though I want some time alone, just the two of us, that sounds like fun.  We had a good time that first night. 
I observe as she slides into her shoes. I notice how her tattoos stand out really well with the dress. It's cut perfectly to reveal the wings and her hair is pulled up exposing it all, including the cross. I love how she's showing them off but I don't know if it'll attract attention tonight. I hope not.
We make our way down to dinner. I'm actually starving and looking forward to this meal. If it's the same as last year like the rest have been, it should be really good. We take our seats and I'm glad the other Dauntless leaders saved us some room at their table. I'm not in the mood to deal with the other factions tonight.
When it's time for the main course, everyone asks for the lamb. I almost laugh since they're taking my advice. The chicken is pretty boring in my opinion but the Abnegation eat it just fine. It's probably well seasoned compared to what they usually eat.
"You were right. This is fantastic," Hosanna says.
"Aren't I always?" I reply.
"Usually," she grins.
"When haven't I been right?" I ask.
"When you destroyed my dress," she counters.
"Wait, what?" Mia inquires.
"Nosy loud mouth," I mumble under my breath.
Hosanna explains what happened quietly. I thought there were too many buttons on the back and all the hooks were ridiculous.  I lost my patience taking it off. I really don't care for those kind of clothes of hers—they're too much of a hassle for me. 
"The one with all the buttons?" Mia questions my wife.  She nods in response.  "Seriously, Eric? I was going to borrow that."
"You can still borrow it if you can find a good tailor," I laugh.  I saw it tossed aside in the closet.  By the condition it's in, I'm sure there's no fixing it. 
"Not funny," she whines crossing her arms.
I look at Ryan and he just shrugs. He leans over and tells me, "I've destroyed a few of hers, too. It's probably why she's so upset."
I laugh. "Did you see how many buttons there were? It would have taken me an hour to unbutton it," I explain.
"It was pretty," Hosanna frowns.
"Yeah, a pretty big pain to take off," I agree. "I found a quick way," I smirk.
"See, this is why I always wear short skirts and dresses," Lydia comments.
We all look to her in question. "Easy access," she explains, standing and fanning the skirt.
We all laugh in response, even Max. I notice Four is a little uncomfortable with the conversation. "What's the matter, Four?" I ask.
Hosanna elbows me. "What?" I question.
"He's uncomfortable with the intimacy conversations," Hosanna mumbles.
I nod. I forgot. "So... did you go to an interesting lecture today, Four?" I question.
Everyone looks at me like that's the strangest thing I could've said. "Not really. I was bored out of my mind," he responds.
"Me, too. I had to look at my wife's notes because I think I fell asleep," I chuckle. We all laugh at that.
I dance with my wife after the meal is over. She, of course, insisted. I don't mind, although I'd much rather go back upstairs since I'm exhausted from the last several weeks. She's looking extremely happy tonight though, and I think that we should do this more often. That smile on her face makes everything worth it and I'd do anything to keep it there. When a slow song plays, I ask her, "Why don't we go out dancing more? We could go out with friends on the weekends or something?"
"I'd like that," she says.
"It's getting too cold to go to the cottage this time of year, though I don't mind snuggling up in front of the fireplace with you," I comment.
"Both sound good," she grins.

*****Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoyed this chapter.*****

Words of Wisdom:
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV

"As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things."
Ecclesiastes 11:5 NIV

"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."
James 1:5 NIV