Chapter 9

(Hosanna's POV)

This second week of leadership training has been flying by quickly.  We've been mostly doing the same things as last week.  Physical training every morning with Eric, paperwork in the afternoon.  Eric has been printing out what he calls a week's worth of paperwork for me every day and I'm blowing through them quickly.  He says at this rate, I'm going to most likely be finished within a month. 
I'm really enjoying learning the rules of Dauntless.  I've learned all about the point system here, food shipments, security, and various obligations that are expected of the leaders.  We're expected to maintain a certain level of professionalism in front of the faction too, which explains why they all seem so serious and solemn for the most part but when it's just us, they all let loose joking and messing around.
We took a break on Wednesday though, if it could even be called a break.  Jax, the head of the security department, brought us both around on a tour of the fence perimeter.  It lasted the entire day and was more exhausting than our normal routine.  I was glad to go though.  I learned so much about the fence security and I also got to meet so many hard working Dauntless.  They all were happy to take me out and show me around.  We even got to go on a perimeter check outside of the fence.  I think I enjoyed that the most, well that and the area near the swamp was so beautiful.  We were out there when the sun set.  The way the orange sky glistened off of the bits of swamp not covered in growth was amazing.  I could almost imagine what it looked like before the Bureau put up that dam, blocking off most of the water and taking away our escape route.
Eric said we're going to Amity today.  He doesn't seem too happy about it though which is probably why he hadn't told me sooner.  I have a feeling that he's upset about what he learned over the weekend from April and me.  I don't blame him, when I first learned about the memory serum, I was upset.  That's why I went snooping through my father's computer in his study.  I don't think he knew that I could even use a computer, which explains his complete lack of security.  I know Tobias couldn't use computers before but he knew how to assemble them.  Is was too easy to get all of the information I did, which is a shame that the leader of the city doesn't think anyone could break in.  I'm surprised he doesn't leave the front door unlocked.
Eric and I arrive at the compound garage and I smile.  "Are we taking your motorcycle again today?" I ask excitedly. That was actually really fun.
"I thought you wanted to drive," he says.
My smile drops.  "Really?" I ask hopeful. 
"Sure, unless you don't want to," he offers.
"Of course I want to drive," I say laughing.
We walk over to the attendant where he hands me some keys.  I thank him and he smiles at me.  Eric leads me over to a vehicle, which is larger than I was expecting. 
"Wow, that's what I'm driving?" I ask.
"Can you handle it?" Eric questions.
I open the driver's side door.  Everything is the same except it's just massive on the outside.
"I think so," I say climbing in. Eric gets in the passenger side and I start the ignition. "If I crash, it's big enough that I don't think I'll do too much damage to it. I can't guarantee what I hit will be okay though."
Eric makes a worried face. "That was a joke," I say.
He laughs, "It was a good one. Even when I'm in a bad mood, you can always make me smile."
I lean over and kiss his lips gently. "It won't be that bad, will it?" I ask.
"As long as she doesn't irritate me and make me explode," he says.
"Well, you can practice being nice. It's also the faction of peace. I'm sure she'll say anything to make you happy," I inform him.
"What makes you say that?" he asks.
"It's Amity," I shrug checking my mirrors and backing out of the parking spot. "They're not known for being honest like Candor. They'll say whatever they have to just to keep the peace."
I pull out of the garage, waving to the guard at the entrance. We drive down the street for a moment.
"You're pretty good at this," Eric comments.
"Did you really think I'd crash?" I ask laughing.
"Most women drivers I've ever known were pretty scary behind the wheel," he admits.
"Oh yeah, like who?" I question.
"Jeanine is by far the worst driver I've known. She has a driver now for a reason. My mom wasn't that great at driving, hence the accident," he says.
I glance over at him and grab his hand, stroking it with my thumb. I release his hand after a minute when I need to turn.
"So, am I helping to change your opinion?" I ask after a minute.
Eric strokes the side of my thigh. "You're changing everything," he admits to me.
I blush a little at the contact and try to keep my eyes on the road. Pretty soon, we arrive to the fence gate.
"We got here fast," I comment.
"That's why we drive. Well, that and so we don't have a thirty minute jog to Amity headquarters," he informs me. "Pull up a little closer to the gate and put it in park."
I do as he says. He unbuckles his seatbelt and opens his door, stepping out. I do the same. Three Dauntless guards approach us.
"Eric, Hosanna," the guard in the front says to us nodding. "Where are you headed?"
"We're meeting with Johanna in Amity. We'll only be here for the afternoon," Eric explains for me.
I step over closer to Eric and hold his hand. We watch as they inspect the vehicle. "It looks good. You're clear to go," the same guard tells us.
"Thanks Mike," Eric says.
Mike looks down and sees our joined hands. He smiles. "Anytime sir, ma'am," he responds.
We climb back into the vehicle and watch as they open the gate. It takes a minute for there to be enough clearance. Once the gate is opened, Mike signals us to pull forward. I accelerate slowly as we pass the gate, then drive normally down the main dirt road into Amity.
"Do you know where to go?" Eric asks me.
"You'd think I've never been to Amity before, Eric," I say.
"Have you been here before?" he inquires. I guess he never knew.
"Yes," I nod continuing on through the apple orchard. The trees are covered in apple blossoms. "It's beautiful here in spring."
"When did you visit before?" he questions me.
"Lots of times. Marcus took me to all the factions with him growing up. I can't really remember going to Dauntless though and I'd only been to Erudite enough times to count on one hand but he often took me to Candor and Amity. Plus, I volunteered a lot. I'd help out here during planting season in the spring when they needed more people and I came every fall with my mother—when she was alive—and the Prior's to pick apples. I only came once in the summer to pick peaches and strawberries when several Amity got sick," I explain.
"You really did volunteer a lot," Eric says surprised.
"Been reading too much Erudite propaganda, Eric?" I question teasingly. "Abnegation isn't what they say at all. There are a few bad apples, like my father, but that could be said of any faction. Most people stick to their faction's teachings."
"I'm starting to see that more and more," he says quietly.
We pull up to the barn.  I put the vehicle in park and turn it off, pocketing the keys. "Have you been here before?" I ask him.
"No, but I've met Johanna before," he says.
"Be warned, her office is in the horse barn," I tell him.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Eric asks confused.
"If you've never been in a barn, I'm warning you that it will smell like hay, animals, and if it hasn't been cleaned out today, well, probably horse dung," I inform him.
He makes a disgusted face at me. "You're just joking right?"
I shake my head no.
"Why would she pick such a place for her office?" he asks incredulously.
I shrug. "I have no idea. Maybe it doesn't bother her," I say.
I climb out of the vehicle and Eric does as well. Johanna steps out of the barn and approaches us. She has a huge smile on her face.
"Welcome to Amity," she greets us. "Eric it's good to see you again." She reaches out and shakes his hand.
She faces me and her smile grows. "Hosanna Eaton, I can't tell you how happy I am to see you," she says hugging me. I was never uncomfortable with that the way the other Abnegation were. She releases me and grabs my hands. "Congratulations. I'm so glad we'll be working together. You were always so hard working and helpful at everything. I'm sure you'll do well as a leader."
"Thank you. It's so good to see you, too," I reply.
"So, what brings you two to Amity?" she asks.
I look to Eric. "It's part of Dauntless's leadership training for us to visit each faction. We met at the seminars but we're both required to visit," Eric says.
Really? So, Eric never completed this. Johanna was appointed within the last few years but I've known her for a long time. She looks surprised as well.
"Well, let me take you into my office and we can talk," Johanna says.  We follow behind her. Luckily the barn smells fairly clean.