Chapter 99

(Hosanna's POV)

Eric never returned for training. I'm sure he was just really upset at what happened. I think he felt he had no other choice than to make her risk her life or expel her to Factionless.
I decide to go check on the initiates that were sent to the infirmary. I walk in and see Will on a cot with a bruise on his temple and arm. He's rubbing at his arm.  It does look pretty bad.  I stride over to his cot and pull his chart.  Nothing unusual is listed—no concussion or anything, which is good.  Al wasn't putting his full strength into it and that's fine.  He could have caused more damage if he had. 
"How are you feeling?" I inquire. 
"I'm alright.  I had a headache but it's gone now," he says. 
Dana gave him some pain medicine.  "Dana!" I call out. 
She comes over.  "Hi, Hosanna.  It looks like you guys are keeping me busy today," she jokes.
I smile.  "Did anyone give you any special orders this year about the quick healing cream?" I ask.  I forgot to talk with the others about it. 
"No, last year was the first time it was available," she says glancing at Will.  "Max and Eric decided together that we wouldn't administer it."
"Were you just about to release him?" I question. 
"Yeah, unless you think he should stay," Dana says.
"Wait just a minute," I instruct her. 
I call Eric.  It only rings once.  "Baby, what's going on?" Eric asks.
"What do you think about the quick healing cream?" I question.
"Oh.  We just decided last year to hold off and be tougher on the initiates.  It's your call this year.  I think you're doing great," he says encouragingly.
I smile at that.  It looks like Dana and Will are hanging on every word. 
"How about this: we let them use it this year but only in the infirmary.  Nobody gets sent home with any.  I don't want them picking fights and covering up the evidence," I say.
"Brilliant as usual," he comments.  I can hear the smile in his voice.
I grin wider.  "Where are you anyway?" I inquire.
"In my office," he tells me.
"Oh, should I be working on something up there?" I ask.
"No, it's all taken care of," he informs me.  "How about we go out tonight?"
"Okay, I'll tell everyone?" I question smiling.
"Sounds good.  I'll see you at dinner?" he says.
"Yeah, see you there," I confirm before hanging up. 
Dana looks to me curiously.  "Go ahead and administer the cream yourself.  I don't want it to leave the infirmary.  If they need more, they come see you," I explain.
"Got it," she nods.  "He's so different with you."  She says referring to Eric.  I give her a confused look.  "That's a good thing.  Last year he came in here and was throwing things around the infirmary."
I laugh.  "I remember," I say.  "Can I tell you a secret?" I whisper to her. 
She nods eagerly.  "He was throwing things because I put some of that cream on another boy," I tell her.  Eric only recently told me that.  We played another game on my birthday in the courtyard and talked about secrets we had about each other.  I didn't have many but he had a lot because he had feelings for me for so long. 
"Oh my goodness!  I remember that.  Was he mad about the cream or was he jealous?" she asks excitedly.
"Jealous," I admit laughing. 
She laughs, too, as if it's impossible to believe.  "My lips are sealed," she says zipping her mouth shut.  I smile. 
"Well, we'll get you some of that cream and you'll be on your way," Dana tells Will. 
She walks back to storage.  "Hey, Will?" I say.
"Yes, ma'am," he responds.
"I highly recommend you take up our offer on sparring this weekend.  You could use some practice before your next fight," I advise.
He looks really nervous.  "But wouldn't I have to fight Eric or Four?" he responds.
"We won't be knocking you out.  It's just for practice.  Mostly we'll correct your stance, tell you what you're doing wrong, that kind of thing," I explain to ease his anxiety. 
He nods, "Alright."  I smile at him and nod. 
I step aside and greet the next initiate.  I hadn't realized it was Christina.  "Hi, how are you doing?" I ask grabbing her chart. 
"I'm a little sore but not bad," she says quietly. 
There's nothing really wrong with her but a few bruises.  I set the chart back down.  "Do you mind if I have a seat?" I ask. 
She furrows her brows but nods.  I sit down in the chair beside the bed and pull it a little closer.  "You do understand why we had to do that, don't you?" I ask her.
"Hang me over the Chasm?" she asks.  I nod.  She sighs heavily.  "Yeah, I think I do."
"It's not that we wanted to single you out.  You were quitting after we both said you couldn't.  You're very lucky to still be here.  From what I've heard, in the past with some leaders, they would've immediately kicked you out," I say solemnly.
She nods.  "Look, I like you," I tell her.  Her face jerks up surprised.  "I do but we still have to make the proper decisions for the faction.  I may like my initiates," I say and she makes a face.  "Okay, most of my initiates.  But we have to be subjective in our decisions.  We can't show favoritism because we have to rank you all.  It wouldn't be fair otherwise."
"I can understand that," she responds quietly. 
I smile and shake her hand.  "You'll be fine," I say slapping her on the back and standing.  I move on to the next bed.