Chapter 36

(Hosanna's POV)

Last night we packed up our bags and I set aside some food to keep at the cottage before I helped Eric move his dresser to our bedroom. I'm sure it was much lighter after he emptied the contents into his bag for the trip.
We also moved the nightstands to our room. I opened his top drawer on accident when I was carrying it and saw a stack of books in the drawer. Surprisingly, the Bible he was given at church was on top of the stack with several bookmarks inside. I closed the drawer quickly and set it beside the bed. I felt like I was prying into his business but I'm glad he's been reading it. I was hoping that he never felt like I pressured him into anything like that. It's not something that can be forced. I was so happy that he invited Pastor Roberts to perform our ceremony, though. It melted my heart that he's so considerate of my desires and my faith. I did choose the perfect man for me.
I'm brought out of my thoughts by him walking through the kitchen.  "Are you about ready?" Eric asks as I set the last of the perishable groceries I want to finish off into the cooler Tobias gave us.
"Yeah," I tell him. "You did say there's cookware there, right?"
"Yes, but not much. If you need anything like that, there's a general store in Amity," he explains.
I nod remembering that I've visited the same store. "Eric," I say wishing that I thought of telling him sooner, but thinking of Amity just now made me recall. Johanna noticed how strange Jack acted during the reception when he made me so uncomfortable. I'm glad she intercepted him for the remainder of our time there.  He was still watching me though. 
"Yeah, baby," he responds coming over and holding me tightly.
"The thing I wanted to tell you about Candor..." I start. "I should probably say something."
"I know you were upset. You know, you can tell me anything," he responds soothingly to me rubbing my back and kissing the top of my head.
"Jack came to the bridal shop to talk to me. He admitted something that made me quite distressed and irritated, especially that he would choose our wedding day of all days," I sigh. I need to tell him this. "He said that he was in love with me."
Eric holds me tighter, his face touching my cheek. "What did you say?" he mumbles against my skin.
"I told him that I don't know him like you. I said that I love you with all my heart," I admit.
I can feel his smile against my cheek. "What was his response to that?"
"He said that he has to let me go and that he wishes us well," I say.
Eric is quiet for a moment, I feel him run his hand through my hair.  He moves back slightly to look at my face.  "He kissed you and hugged you at the reception though," he points out.
"He did... and it was very... awkward.  I wasn't expecting that but... it meant nothing to me... I wish he wouldn't have done that... or caught me off guard like that..." I stumble over my words. I really believed he'd stay away and I wasn't expecting him to do what he did—to behave in such a manner.
"It's okay.  I just don't want you alone in a room with him, or any other man for that matter.  It's not that I don't trust you, because I do trust you.  I just don't trust other men, with the exception of maybe your brother, Ryan, and Max," he says.
"That's fine.  I wouldn't want to put myself in another position like that again, so that's completely understandable.  Can I... ask the same from you?" I request.
"Be alone with other women?" he asks.
I nod.  "That's not a problem.  I don't want anyone other than you in my private space anyway," he responds.
I smile and kiss him.  He pulls away slowly.  "We should probably get going," he says.
"Alright," I agree. 
I throw my bag over my shoulder.  Eric grabs his bag with one hand and the cooler with the other.  I open the door for him and lock it after he exits.  I follow him down the hall and I'm so excited about leaving.  We descend in the elevator and cross through the Pit.  A few people stop and wish us well.  I smile at them while Eric just nods.  He's always so formal with them but I guess that's just his personality. 
We arrive at the garage and there are a few people working in the booth.  "I've never seen anything like it before.  It was amazing wasn't it?" a guard says.
Eric clears his throat.  "Oh, Eric, Hosanna, we were just..." the same guard starts.
"We need the keys to my truck," Eric interrupts.
"Yes, sir.  Of course," he responds.  He grabs the keys and hands them to Eric.  My husband nods in response and walks away. 
I smile, "Thank you..."
"Reese," he informs me smiling back.
"Thank you, Reese," I tell him.
"You're welcome, ma'am.  Congratulations," he replies still grinning.
"Thanks," I say stepping away.
"If you don't mind me asking..." he starts once more. I turn back around.  "Where are you going?"
"Eric's taking me to the pond.  You know the one the first levels go camping at..." I tell him excitedly, beaming.
"That sounds wonderful," he compliments.  "Have fun."
I wave as I catch up to Eric.  He's at the truck putting his bag in the trunk. 
"You didn't tell him where we were going did you?" he says.
"Yes.  He asked me," I reply.
"That guy is such a gossip.  He'll tell the whole faction," he complains. I shrug.  "Baby, I wanted to be alone with you," he whines.
"I'm sure nobody will bother us," I say attempting to comfort him.
"But everything we do everyone copies.  I bet there will be tons of girls wearing white wedding dresses next," he says as I help him put the cooler into the truck. 
"That wouldn't be a terrible thing," I reply.  "Maybe there will be more marriages, too."
He's quiet for a moment. "That would be nice if more people in the faction commit," he agrees after a while taking my bag from me and setting it inside. "Maybe you're right," he says as he pulls me to him and kisses me.  I respond with the same intensity.  I hear some boots shuffling nearby.  I slowly pull back from his lips to see we have an audience of four guards grinning like mad at their station.  I wave to them.  Eric picks me up like the other night and I laugh in surprise.  He carries me over to the passenger door, opening it, and setting me in the seat.  He kisses me once more before he closes the door and crosses to the driver's side.  I buckle my seatbelt as he climbs in and starts the ignition.  Eric backs out and as he pulls away, he honks the horn a couple times and waves to the guards.  They laugh and wave back, wishing us well.  I smile, happy that he's being more social.
I roll down my window and enjoy the breeze as we leave the garage. I wave to the two guards at the exit as we pass by. They both wave back with cheerful expressions on their faces. I'm glad our union can make so many people happy—it's as if our relationship has brought further stability and joy to our faction.
I'm in such a good mood that I feel like listening to some music. I pull my phone out of my pocket and select a song. I connect with the vehicle before pressing play.