Chapter 3

(Hosanna's POV)

Eric and I walk to the cafeteria in the morning hand in hand. He opens the door for me, slamming it into the wall and making a loud noise. I laugh as we walk through the doorway, everyone's eyes on us. "You love that, don't you?" I say just figuring it out.  He likes the attention and it scares everyone in the room. 
"What? The attention or the fear?" he questions.
"Both," I respond.
"Yeah, but I'd prefer attention from you any day over that," he says squeezing my hand.  Aww, that's so sweet. 
We walk over to the coffee station. "I promised a whole pot, what kind do you want?" I ask looking at the variety of beans.  There's light roast, dark, medium, flavored coffees...
"I don't really know the difference," Eric says burying his face in my neck. "Everything you've made is good."
I laugh. "Eric, I've made almost every one of these," I point out.
"Well, then I like them all," he mumbles against my skin.
I just grab a medium roast I haven't opened yet that smells good and make a large carafe. We get into line to get our breakfast. It looks like some kind of oatmeal so I grab a bowl and a dish of fruit salad.  We go back to the coffee station and he takes my tray while I grab some cups, cream, sugar, and the carafe.  We carry everything to the leaders table.  I can see Ryan smiling from halfway across the cafeteria.  I set down the coffee at the table and Ryan couldn't get up fast enough. 
"Oh, I like her," he nudges Eric with his elbow. 
I laugh.  "Well, thank you," I say as I take a seat and watch him help himself.
"Don't you want some?" Eric asks.
I look to see Lydia and Max both standing to get a cup each. 
"I can wait a few minutes," I say as I take a bite of my oatmeal.  It's really good.  It's actually cold. 
Eric sits beside me after a minute and places a cup in front of me.  "Thank you," I say kissing him. 
"You're welcome, baby," he grins.
Everyone thanks me for the coffee. 
"So, when are you two going to Candor?" Max asks.
I look to Eric since I don't know yet.  "Jack said he was free at one, so we'll leave right after lunch," he tells us.
"I knew we made a good choice with you," Max says to me.  "We're all in agreement that this plan of yours is quite ingenious."
"Thank you," I smile.
"We'll cut our workout shorter this morning than it'll be in the future so we can get cleaned up and make it over there on time," Eric tells me.
"Okay," I nod. "So, what kind of oatmeal is this?"
"I have no idea but they make it a lot in the spring and summer since it's cold," he says.  "Maybe Lydia knows.  I think she cooks a bit, too."
We both look to her.  "It's called overnight oats.  They make it the night before and let it sit to absorb the moisture instead of cooking it.  It can be heated as well," she explains.
"Oh, it's good," I grin.  I wish I knew that in Abnegation.  That would've been an interesting change in summer, even if it was plain. 
I think about how it's going to be getting hotter. "Maybe I could learn to make some cold press coffee," I comment.  "I bet that'd be good in the summer, too."
I look to see everybody staring at me with great interest.  I laugh.  "Don't worry, I'll share," I say.

*****

Eric and I started out jogging around the compound, the same path we took the first day of my training as an initiate.  We went through the route quickly since there was nobody else holding us back.  I guess that's the difference between us and them, the higher ranks can handle it. 
We move onto some free weights and I follow the routine he has for me.  It's not the same order as my own but some of the movements are the similar.  I'm definitely feeling the burn in my muscles which is nice to be challenged.  I feel like I'm keeping up well and it's good to be able to spend the day with him. 
We take a short break afterward sitting on a bench with a bottle of water each.  Eric strokes his fingers down my sweaty arms and I laugh that it doesn't bother him.  I always thought it was nasty when I was so saturated.  I guess that's Dauntless, so I better get used to it. 
We head over to work at the punching bags.  I'm actually more interested in Eric's workout than mine.  I can't keep my eyes off of him.  He's shirtless, covered in sweat, and I've never noticed how truly muscular he is.  I've peeked a couple times before but I guess I've been trying to avoid really staring at him until today.  I attempt to focus on my own punches but my eyes keep going back to him.  I turn to work on my left side and it helps to have my back to him. 
After a while he says, "Are you ready to spar?"
"I think I'm going to need some more water first," I tell him reaching for a towel to dry off my face, chest, and arms. 
He tosses me a cold bottle of water and I down a third of it in a matter of seconds.  It's really hot today, but it's May so I'm guessing it's just going to get hotter and hotter.  I pull my sopping wet shirt away from my skin.  I don't think I've ever sweated so much in my life.
"Take it off if it's bothering you," Eric smirks.
"I only have a sports bra on underneath," I inform him.
"It doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you," he grins. 
There is no way that I can fight him in this, so I reluctantly take it off.  I toss it aside near my towel, making a slapping sound as it hits the floor.  I hear Eric's intake of breath through his teeth.  Maybe he wasn't serious, I do feel a little bare in front of him.  I turn around to see him staring at my body.  His eyes flick up to meet mine for a moment and I can see a deep desire there as he glances back at me.  He looks like he's struggling to pull his eyes away from me so he turns around and starts walking to the sparring mat.  I take another drink of water, wiping my face again with the towel before following behind him.
I step up to the mat with him.  He's trying to focus on my eyes.  "Okay, no lessons today, let's just see what you've got," he tells me.
Since I've never seen him fight before, I let him make the first move.  He fakes a punch to my head with his right arm, but goes for my abdomen.  I move out of the way, slapping his arm away from me.  He smiles at me.  "Good," he says.
He tries to sweep out my feet and I jump pushing him away.  He laughs, "You are really good at this."
He comes at me with a series of punches and kicks.  I dodge or block each one almost like a dance.  We continue for a few minutes until I see a hole in his defense and I sweep out his legs knocking him to the ground.  I jump on top of him quickly pulling my arm back to ready for a punch.  I don't hit him though.  He laughs putting a hand at the back of my neck.  "I don't think I've ever enjoyed being beaten like that before," he says as he pulls me closer to him gently kissing my lips.  I put my hands on the ground propping myself up.  He slides his other hand on my back reaching for those dimples he loves so much.  I laugh since he's tickling me. 
"I think we're done here for now," he grins.  "Let's go get cleaned up for Candor."