Sixty Seven

Insane chapter. So long. Crazy happenings that may or may not be the start to the resolution of this story.

edit, 6-27-19: "so long" I had to laugh

Nancy.

I sighed deeply, trying to keep my breathing steady. It was hurting, honestly, which I don't think is normal. Is it?

I thought that and then rolled my eyes at myself. Of course it's not normal, I have her blood combining with mine and effecting my brain. Nothing about this is normal.

"It'll be over soon, sorry it hurts. I'm sure your power will be good, though," Max spoke up from beside me, and I sighed.

"I don't want one at all. What's your family's problem, anyway?" I asked bitterly, rubbing my arm where they put the blood in at. It was still sore and I'm almost positive it bruised, which rarely happens to me.

"They have many problems. It's my fault for listening to them for so long," she mumbled, and I frowned.

"What did they tell you? What made you want to listen?" I whispered, and I heard her struggling a bit.

"They basically told me that if I helped them succeed with this, they'd let me live normally. And they'd leave my friends alone, out of harms way. I just wanted to protect Dustin and the others, I didn't want them hurt," she sounded like she was crying, and my heart dropped. She did all of this for Dustin, and the rest of the group. She did this for Mike.

I was about to reply when I heard a loud noise. I panicked a bit, really focusing on how I felt. I still felt awful and like my veins were too full, so I knew I didn't develop any powers. It's weird feeling like this, too, because my veins are just really puffy and prominent. I can feel them on my wrists the best, they're really elevated. It hurts to touch them, it's almost as if they'll burst. How much blood did they put in me...?

The door came to a stop, and I looked forward in the direction of it. I couldn't see anything, of course, but it was instinct. I heard footsteps, and I silently wondered how they can maneuver around in the dark. Probably shouldn't be my concern right now, huh?

"She processed yet, Maxine?" a gruff voice spoke up, and a chill immediately went up my spine.

"I don't think so. Is it, Nancy?" Max spoke up in a calm voice, and I took in a deep breath.

"Almost, I might be a few minutes off," I spoke up, trying to sound normal, but my voice wavered a bit. I heard nothing for a second, then heard a sigh escape from above me.

"I'll give you a few minutes more while I prepare the car," he huffed, then the footsteps left. The door scraped shut for seemingly hours, then finally stopped. And the second it stopped, Max was rushing words my way.

"Ok, I have no way of knowing what power you'll be getting, Nancy, but I can tell you how to use it. You'll know when it's processed and set in, your entire body will relax and you'll feel very light. At that moment, I want you to start straining your mind, which sounds dumb, but it works. Just strain your mind and let it take over. After that, it'll get easier and become second nature. It'll be a practical switch in your head," she explained quickly, her words clear but hard to keep up with. I nodded, then remembered she can't see me.

"Ok, got it. Why do you know so much about this stuff?" I asked, and it was silent for a minute.

"My best friend had this happen to her. But she's dead, so it doesn't matter," she finished, and my heart sunk to my stomach. But I had no time to sympathize as the door scraped open once again. The same footsteps, the same everything, and I wasn't ready to hear it. I wasn't ready to face this man, or anything he had to offer.