Fifty Nine

Chapter making up for Friday, I felt bad about not updating(:

I love Hop so much, everything about him is amazing. Joyce, as well, they're amazing in this chapter.

Hopper.

I pulled into the driveway, coming to a stop and putting my car in park. I sighed, sitting back in my seat, looking over at Joyce. She gave me a small smile, and it held guilt.

"Joyce, I don't want you to feel guilty. This isn't your fault," I assured, but she shrugged roughly and threw her hands up a bit.

"I should just take him in, it's my job," she sounded so overworked and stressed, making me shake my head even more.

"You have too much to deal with, Joyce. I can do this," I spoke confidently, and she chuckled a bit, a radiant smile playing on her lips.

"You're gonna murder each other, Hop." She looked up at me, her eyes squinted from smiling. She got out of the car, so I followed. She lead the way to the door, and I trailed along, fixing my shirt up a bit. I'm nervous, for some reason. I guess it's because I'm not the best with kids anymore, but I'm willing to try.

Joyce knocked on the door, then looked up at me and gave a reassuring smile. The door opened and we came face to face with a tall woman, who looked rather annoyed to see us. She let us in, though, and called out to Lucas in a bit of a harsh tone. He was suddenly hurrying down the stairs, lugging along a suitcase and a backpack.

"Um, thank you, Mrs. Sinclair," Joyce tried, but the lady put her hand up to stop her from talking.

"You come into my house and make my boy leave, do not act like I wanted this," Mrs. Sinclair ordered, and we stayed silent. She does want this, though, it's obvious. She's just acting innocent.

Lucas approached us and smiled weakly, glancing at his mom a few times. She looked at him and didn't look sad, didn't look guilty. "Go on, then," she ordered, and he startled, walking closer to us, choosing to stand near Joyce. Joyce quickly reached up to rub his arm in a comforting manner, and I gave her a glance with raised eyebrows. She nodded, leading Lucas out of the house and down to the car.

"I know it's none of my business, but I'd really like to know what's going on in that sick head of yours," I spoke through gritted teeth, and she gave me a look of disbelief. "You're his mother, for God's sake! Show the kid some love!" I yelled then, my anger taking over.

"You have no idea what you're talking about. Do not come into my house and tell me how to run it!" she yelled back, and I nearly cut her off.

"I shouldn't have to! Take it from someone who knows, once your child is gone, you never recover," my voice dropped in volume as my sentence went on. "This is your last chance to keep your only son, Mrs. Sinclair. Don't waste it."

I nodded in the direction of her stunned face, then turned around and left her house. The door closed loudly behind me and I walked quickly to my car. I got inside to see Joyce in the backseat. I looked at her through my rear view mirror just as she looked up at the mirror, as well. I could see only her face as she frowned deeply, her eyes filled with worry and pain.

"He needed me back here. Let's go." She gave me a weak smile, then, as I looked over to Lucas instead. He was crying.

We drove in silence, and I couldn't decide whether I should feel sad or angry. It sickens me that some parents take their children for granted when others don't have a choice. I'd kill to see Sarah just one last time, and I never can.

I pulled up to Joyce's house, and she talked to Lucas for a minute. I saw her give him a loving side hug, both of them smiling. She then said goodbye to me and climbed out of my car. She walked to the door and I waited until she was inside to drive away.

The car is silent, neither of us know what to say. He was just forced out of his home(not that I think he wanted to stay) and is being forced to live with me until we can work something out. Yes, he trusts me, but it's not like I'm someone he can find comfort in when he needs it. I'm barely home, so I need to make sure there's always food he can make. I just don't see how this will make him feel any better, but I could be wrong.

"So, how comfortable is your couch?" he randomly spoke up, making me let out a laugh. Amazing intro.

"Lucas, you aren't sleeping on the couch. I cleaned my room and got new sheets and all that, you'll be staying in there," I explained, and I glanced at him in time to see his confused face.

"You're giving me your room? Chief-"

"Call me Hop, or Hopper. Lucas, I don't mind, I sleep on the couch a lot anyway," I tried to make light of the situation, but he still looked unsure.

"Alright, Bunny Hop, if you say so," he joked, his tone filled with dull humor. I laughed at that, shaking my head.

"Bunny Hop?" I asked, looking at him again through my mirror. He started smiling a bit, then, and looked out the window.

"For sure, that's your new name," he tried to say with a straight face, but I started laughing again, causing him to join in. We made eye contact, and it felt good.

Maybe this'll go better than expected.

-

Ah damn I didn't know I'd love that so much. Daddy Hopper is back in business, but this time with a very...unlikely character. They're adorable together.

edit, 6-21-19: I honestly love this. Like so much. It's still one of the best events ever just cuz Lucas and Hop would be the most iconic duo ever