Forty

TIKE OMG(ten and mike, a friendship name)

edit, 6-21-19: Tike >>>> everything else

Dustin.

I left my house, locking the door, and expected to see Max. Waiting for me, ready to ride to school, as always. But she wasn't there, and I rode to school alone. She never misses school, even when she feels sick. I guess she must be really sick today.

I arrived and immediately saw Lucas and Will standing by the wall. They looked at me funny, a silent question as to where Max is.

"I don't know, she didn't come out today. She must be sick." I shrugged, and they only nodded back. We were silent for a while, waiting for Mike to show up. But the ten minute bell rang, and he still wasn't here. He's never this late.

"No Mike, either? What's going on with them? Having private conversations, missing school at the same time. Are they, like, planning something?" Lucas asked, making me roll my eyes.

"Max and Mike are close to hating each other. I highly doubt they're working together on something," I chuckled a bit, but there was a small part of me thinking that, as well. They have been talking a lot, and they did walk off alone yesterday. Mike wouldn't talk to us all day, and Max was a lot quieter. Maybe something is going on.

"Hey, do you know why he's out? I know you call him every night," Lucas spoke up, speaking to Will. Will looked at both of us nervously, which was odd.

"I don't know, he didn't say. Must've woken up feeling sick." He smiled for about a millisecond before looking down at the ground.

"So, in other words, you didn't call him last night," I spoke up, and he looked over at me with annoyed eyes.

"I did call, he just didn't answer. No one did," is all he said, and there was nothing left to say.

-

Eleven.

I don't know how long it's been. Probably a few hours. Max and I have been sitting quietly, we have nothing to say. The man hit her, and I think it's her dad. It only makes sense.

"I'm sorry your dad hit you," I whispered, but it sounded normal in such an echo-y place.

"He's not my dad, as far as I'm concerned. He may be my biological father, but I'll never call him my dad," she spoke weakly, but her voice was still angry. I didn't know what biological meant, but I think it just means real.

"Ok, I'm sorry that man hit you," I changed my words, and she laughed a bit.

"You're cute, kinda like a child. You're thirteen?" she asked, and I answered slowly.

"I think so. I was never told, but I think I'm thirteen." I nodded, mad at myself for doing that so often.

"I'm also thirteen, just a bit older than you. You know how to count, right?" she asked, and I frowned to myself.

"Only up to ten, because that's how many fingers I have. Will was teaching me more, but I forgot all of it," I sighed, and she didn't answer.

"You know, I think Mike is in danger," she randomly spoke up, and I perked up. Not in a good way.

"Danger? What kind? What happened?" I rushed out, and she sighed loudly.

"I don't know how to explain it to you. I wish we could go help, but there's no way out of this place," she whispered, and I calmed down. She's right.

"Does Mike know I'm here?" I asked quietly.

"No, he has no clue. I hope I can tell him soon. I'm waiting," she sounded almost as if she was talking to herself, so I spoke up.

"Waiting for what?"

"The right moment. My parents might be going on vacation soon, and I'll take that time to get you out," she answered, and I didn't understand.

"Why haven't you gotten me out before?" I asked, and she sighed again.

"I didn't want to before."

"And now you do?" I asked, my voice confused.

"I want to live my own life. I don't want to be a part of this family any longer," she explained slowly.

"But do you like me? Do you want to help me?"

"I want Mike to be ok. So, yes, I do."