Forty Nine

I can't tell whether she looks sad or annoyed in this picture. Either way this chapter makes me sad because Max is probably my favorite character in TGWP.

Max.

I walked down the road with Dustin, who kept glancing at me. I was stiff, avoiding his gaze. I'll be too tempted to know what he's thinking, and I've promised myself that I'll stay out of his head. Only if it's to protect him can I listen to his thoughts. That's just the promise I made to myself.

We arrived back at the school, where we climbed on our bikes and just left again. School is so pointless compared to everything else that's going on, and half of the school isn't there anyway, so I don't get why it's still going on. If there's barely any girls there, why would they continue? It's cruel, in my opinion.

We were riding down the road now, and he was still glancing at me. I don't have to read his mind to know what's coming.

"Max-" But I cut him off.

"Dustin, not now," I spoke firmly, but quickly tried to calm myself down.

"How did you know about Eleven?" he asked loudly, and I shut my eyes as I slowed my bike down and climbed off, starting to walk it up my driveway. I heard him stop his bike in a hurry, and then his hand was grabbing my arm and stopping me.

"Max, I don't understand what's going on. I trust you, but should I? You're obviously keeping a lot from me, and I don't know if I can trust you. Do...do you even like me?" He stuttered out, and I turned my head to give him a confused look.

"Dustin, I've never lied about liking you. Every word I've said involving that has been true," I assured, and he frowned a bit.

"But you've lied about other things, just not that." He continued to frown at me, and I sighed. I glanced back at my house, then turned to fully face Dustin.

"Dustin, there's some things that I literally can't tell you. Not yet, at least. You have to understand that I'd tell you if I could," I basically pleaded, and he shifted on his feet a bit.

"And one of them is that you know where Eleven is," he stated, it wasn't a question.

"Yes, I know where she is," I whispered, and he nodded with a firm expression.

"Do you know where the girls are?" he asked, and I looked at him with desperate eyes.

"Dustin, you're gonna get me in trouble," I whispered, and he sighed.

"Max, I don't think I can trust you," he breathed out, and I shook my head frantically at his words.

"Dustin, please, I will tell you, just not yet," I pleaded, and he shook his head back. He started to walk back to his bike, and I panicked. I glanced quickly at my house before rushing over to Dustin. "I can tell you, we just need to leave, please."

"Why can't you tell me here?" he asked, and I freaked out a bit more.

"Dustin, please-" I was cut off, though, by a loud voice.

"Max, come inside," I heard my 'dad' yell from the door, and I closed my eyes tight. I felt the need to cry, but I didn't. I peeled my eyes open and looked at Dustin once more before turning around and walking my bike towards the house. I just left it in the driveway, not caring right now. I walked up onto the porch, avoiding eye contact with him. I slipped past, immediately trying to hurry up the stairs.

I was stopped, of course, Billy was at my side in seconds. I glared up at at him, but he just rolled his eyes and shoved me back down the stairs. I almost ran into my dad, which made me stumble even more.

"Thinking about telling your little boyfriend, huh? You told him you know where the girl is," he had that same voice he always uses when I'm in trouble, so now I just need to see the extent. Billy walked up behind me, and grabbed me under my arms before I could move.

"Love her so much? Fine, you can stay with her, then," he spoke deeply into my ear, and I started shaking my head quickly.

"No, please don't!" I struggled a bit, but he had my arms grasped tightly. My family has no idea that I have telekinesis, so I can't use it against them. They think I only have telepathy, because that's what I was born with. I can't let them know I have telekinesis, they'll kill Eleven. I don't understand why, they just want her dead. The only reason they haven't killed her yet is because of her blood. They need her blood.

Billy carried me down into the basement and my dad opened the cell door. I tried to fight once more, but it didn't work. Billy tossed me in like I was a toy, and I heard the door slam shut.

-

Not my best writing, not my best Max. But, all in all, this is a major bump in the road for them finding El. Max was their ticket.