Chapter 38

Chapter 38

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Turning around, I groaned, "What Jerome?"

"You and I have some unfinished business."

"What business?" I asked, standing up and facing him.

"Well, you killed all my little monster buddies, it only make sense that I should avenge them by killing you."

I scoffed. "You? Please, someone give me a challenge."

"Oh yeah?" he retorted. Out of nowhere, Jerome leaped across the short distance separating us, sword outstretched.

I brought up Riptide in an arc and parried away his blade that was just inches away from my throat. I brought Riptide down in a low sweep to catch his legs. He jumped and brought out a knife with which he slashed downwards at my head. I rolled to avoid the strike and came up kneeling. I quickly took out a throwing knife from the belt around my waist and threw it. The knife landed two millimeters from Jerome's head and embedded itself into a tree behind him. Jerome gave a yell of anger and lunged at me with his sword.

In a split second, I analyzed the battle situation and all the possible outcomes. Rolling to the side, I allowed him to get one small cut on my left arm. Seeing this, Jerome gave a shout of delight and charged again. This time however, I willed the water to rush forward and lift me up in the air, giving me an advantage and Jerome a huge mouthful of seawater.

I landed beside him, and while he was dazed, made a couple of painful slices to his chest and legs. When he finally regained his senses, he growled in frustration. He picked up his sword, which was lying a couple feet away and held it up.

"Oh, you are such dead meat now." He snarled.

"Not from where I look at it."

He hefted his sword a little higher and thrust it towards my chest. I back flipped, grabbing a throwing knife from my belt as I flipped. Landing softly, I kneeled and aimed for a chink in his armor. Finding one, I threw my knife and this time, it found its mark in his shoulder. He howled in rage as the knife dug in deep and pierced layers of flesh. He groaned in pain as he pulled the knife out. Looking up, his eyes filled with hate. He staggered to his feet and came at me so fast with his sword swinging that I didn't have time to react. He got in a couple well placed blows on my chest that really hurt.

I flipped over him and willed the water to lift me in the air again. "Looks like you've gotten a little bit better." I held my thumb and forefinger a couple of millimeters apart. "About this much!"

Jerome snarled. "I had to prove Lady Circe wrong. She thought I was worthless, but I'll show her. Oh, I'll show everyone."

"How? You aren't much better than you were before." I taunted.

Jerome fumed in anger below me. "Come down from there! You're such a coward!"

I laughed at him. "Coward are I?" I made the funnel of water carry me down to the ground. As soon as I touched the earth, Jerome let out a wave of attacks that forced me backwards.

Thinking quickly, I slashed Jerome's sword arm which caused him to drop his sword and clutch his arm in agony. He picked up his sword with this non-dominant hand and started forward again, his face set in determination. He stood there with his sword out in front of him, waiting for me to attack him. He finally got tired of waiting and moved forward, sword still extended.

I took this opportunity to use the disarming maneuver that Luke taught me. I brought my sword down hard on top of his and twisted, forcing him to drop his sword.

He backed away as I slowly advanced. In backing away, he tripped over a rock and fell. I moved in and placed my sword at his throat. "Surrender?"

He looked up and growled, "You think you've won?"

"From the way it's looking right now, yes. I think I'm safe to call this a win."

Jerome laughed, a crazy, mad-man laugh. "Oh, just wait. I'll show you. I'll train. And I will win."

By this time, most of the gods, looking very disheveled from fighting, and various campers and woodland spirits had gathered around us and were spectating the fight.

Jerome took my moment of lack of concentration and made a break for it. As he ran, he took out a wand as he went. He started to cast spells at me as I gave chase. When we reached the arena, Jerome shot one last crazed look at me and vanished.

I halted and wondered. How the heck? Where did he go?

"He never was one for fighting. I always knew there was a reason I hated him. Stupid males." I turned round, expecting to see Artemis, but instead, Circe was standing there, wand in hand and looking very murderous.