Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I reclined and folded my hands behind my head. “So Adam, tell me about yourself.”

While we traveled, I got to hear all about Adams’ life. He grew up on a distant planet called Xylon. He was the third of six children and the only one of his siblings to be born to a god. He told me about when he was little, fighting for survival against five other siblings and for his life against a dad who resented him and wished he was never born. Adam was a son of Leste. A Xynlian goddess of healing. He ran away from home after his father almost beat him to death and Chaos found him a couple days later, offering him a new life.

Landing in 10 minutes Lord Perseus. Employing cloaking device. An automated woman’s voice said.

I stood and stretched, getting all the kinks out of my back from sitting. I typed in Chaos’ name to the tablet on the coffee table and his face appeared.

He jumped in shock, spilling his juice. “Percy! What was that for?”

“Sorry, I had a question.”

He set his now empty glass on the desk and sighed. “What do you need?”

“What am I supposed to do once I get to the planet? Am I just supposed to flash this dude’s picture around and hope someone knows him?”

“Whatever you this will work the best. Adam should set you down close to where he was suspected to be hiding out. Finding him shouldn’t be too hard. Listen, I have to go. I need to get me more juice, and now I need a bagel.” He waggled his fingers and the screen turned black.

“Well Adam, I suppose it’s up to you.”

He nodded and checked the landing coordinates. “Sir, the coordinates are spot on.”

A couple minutes later we landed in front of a tall mountain. I strapped on a bracelet and turned it, making me invisible. I crept slowly out of the ship and made my way to the base of the mountain. I examined it for any traces of human presence. Halfway through my search, I found a nearly invisible crack in the side of the rock. I traced it around and realized it was a door.

I sat back and pondered how I was going to open it. Finally, I took a bottle of water from the ship and willed it to form inside the door crack. Then I waved my hand, causing the water to freeze and the rock to crumble. I stepped inside and popped in special night vision contacts; man was it dark in there.

I navigated my way through piles of rubbish and different lab tables on which bubbling liquids lay and large diagrams of the night sky. I made my way into the inner chamber of the lab.

I found the scientist hunched over a table with a telescope beside him, jotting notes in a notebook. I tiptoed over and placed a hand over his mouth, stifling his scream.

“Shh.” I whispered. “I just want to talk.”

He whimpered and struggled weakly against my hand.

“Okay, if I take my hand off your mouth, will you promise not to yell?”

He nodded meekly, and I released the hand covering his mouth.

“Who… who are you?”

“My name isn’t important. What is important is that you have been drilling into my master’s realm.”

“Realm?” he asked incredulously. “All I do is study stars.”

“Ah, and there’s the issue.” I released him and cleared the table behind me of charts and graphs, sitting down hard on the cleaned surface. “Please, sit.”

He sat nervously and tugged at the hem of his lab coat. “What’s this all about?”

I started to explain. “Well, I work and report to a god named Chaos. His realm, space, is the one you’re chipping into. And we need you to stop.”

“But I never meant to chip into his realm.” He wailed.

“I know, maybe. I do have a proposition for you. You can join Chaos and continue your work, just for him.”

“And if I don’t want to?”

I reached into my jeans pocket and drew out the vial of clear liquid. “I’ll erase your most recent memories. You won’t remember this conversation and I’ll have to take your work.”

“My work! Why?”

I chuckled. “Well, we don’t want you to go probing further into our area of space now do we?”

He sat back and ran his fingers though his hair, sighing. “I… don’t know.”

“Take your time.” I snapped my fingers and a plate with three cupcakes covered in blue frosting appeared. “Cupcake?”

He looked suspiciously at the cupcake. “No thanks.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Suit yourself.” I picked up the dessert and munched on it with a blissful look on my face.

I sat there for a good ten minutes, eating one cupcake after another. I reached the final cake and gobbled it down. Wiping my hands of crumbs I looked at the scientist. “So Alex, have you made up your mind yet?”

He jumped in his seat and glanced at me. “I guess I’ll join you. It’s better than losing my memory, and more importantly, my work.” He stood and looked around the room. “What will happen to my lab, and my work?”

“Well, I’ll have to talk to Chaos, but I’m pretty sure he’ll let you keep your work. He might even transport your entire lab to his planet. We’ll talk about it when we get there. For now, let’s just focus on getting to planet Chaos.” I slid off the table and walked out of the mountain laboratory, the good doctor following close behind. As I made my way to the ship, I popped out the night vision contact. I entered the ship and sat down.

Alexander sat next to me, rubbing his hands together nervously.

“Okay Adam. Take us home please.”

The kid sat at the control panel and punched in a command. “It’s done sir.”

I stretched out on three of the seats. “Thanks. Please wake me when we get there.”

“Yes sir.”

I closed my eyes and slept all the way back home.