Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Three hours later, I was awoken by the sound of a girl coughing.

“Annabeth? You okay?”                                                      

She continued to cough and I summoned a glass of water and handed it to her. She gulped it down and panted. “Thanks Percy.”

“No problem. How are you feeling?”

“Better. Was this whole thing your idea?” she gestured to the bed and her newly healed cuts.

“Uh, yeah. I hope you’re not mad or anything.”

“Percy, why would I be mad? You saved me.”

“Technically it was Chaos who saved you, not me. It’s him you should be thanking.”

She laughed. “I will as soon as I can. And I don’t know what to tell you about the whole Jerome thing. I can’t remember anything that happened related to it. It’s really frustrating.”

I took her hand again. “I know, daughter of Athena thing.”

“You know me so well Perce.” She leaned forward off her pillows and kissed me. She winced and held her ribs. She sat back and groaned. “Nope, ribs still mending.”

I stood. “I’ll leave you for now. I have a lunch date and she’ll kill me if I’m late.” I swooped down and planted another kiss on Annabeth. “I’ll see you soon, okay?”

“Okay.” She closed her eyes and drifted back to sleep.

I took a couple moments to study her sleeping face, it was happy and peaceful. I texted Sam and told her to meet me in the café. She texted back ‘okay’ and I flashed out and grabbed some food from the line and sat down at a nice, quiet table in a corner. Sam flashed in and surveyed the room. She spotted me, gave me a thumbs up and sauntered over.

“What’s up Punk?” she stole a fry from my plate and popped it into her mouth. “Anything special happen today?”

“Remember the girl I told you about a while ago, Annabeth?”

Sam nodded. “What about her?”

“Well, she was exiled by the gods and Chaos rescued her. She’s recovering in the Hospital Wing at the moment.”

She spit out her fry and grabbed my drink, gulping it down. “What?”

I took my drink back and set it down gingerly. “Yeah, Annabeth is here now.”

“But didn’t she cheat on you?”

I took out my phone and showed her the photo of the evidence Chaos found. She snatched the phone from me and read the phone screen over and over again. “What does this mean?”

“It means that she was drugged or something.”

She still looked at me blankly. “What?”

“She had a potion put into a drink.”

“Ah, I see. Well that’s always a good thing right? Are you still together, I mean after she ‘cheated on you’ or something.” She used air quotes on ‘cheated on you’.

“Well yeah. A long time ago, I was told that my fatal flaw is personal loyalty. Even though she kind cracked that, it never completely went away.”

She punched me lightly on the shoulder. “Well, always the optimist right?”

I grinned my lopsided grin. “You know it Sam. Have you heard? Blacklist is on tonight.”

“Really?” Sam squealed. “I honestly can’t wait.”