Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. That day off yesterday did me a ton of good, minus the playing equipment thrown at my face. I now realize how much a metal penguin to the face hurts.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and rolled out of bed. While I was putting on my chest plate, I realized: An entire three hours with the Aphrodite cabin. Can life get any worse? I mean, a cabin of mainly flirting girls who have absolutely no interest in training and a love of gossip and breaking hearts.

I finished dressing looked around. Where’s Annabeth? I shrugged and figured she went downstairs. I headed downstairs myself. Apparently at the Aphrodite cabin showed on my face, because when I walked into the kitchen, Annabeth walked over and hugged me.

"What's wrong?"

"I was just thinking about spending an unhealthy amount of time with the Aphrodite cabin. I can see the headlines now. 'Warrior dies from inhaling too much perfume.'"

She laughed. "Come on Percy. It won't come to that. And if you need help, just yell. I have to teach the Nemesis and Iris cabins archery. We'll be in the arena at the same time. And Zoe will be there too, teaching the advanced archery students a thing or two."

I relaxed. I knew if any girl made a move on me, Annabeth would be sure to introduce her knife to them personally. And Zoe told me I was the first male she ever accepted as a friend, so I would have her fighting for me if it came to that. I kissed her and just at that moment, Sam walked in and groaned. "Love birds! Get a freaking room!" She stomped out of the cabin slamming the door behind her.

Annabeth and I giggled. "I guess it's time to go school the campers." She sighed, disentangling herself from me.

Annabeth and I walked out of the cabin and over to where the campers were eating breakfast. Chiron trotted up to us. "Ah. There you are. We're about to start the training." He turned to the campers. "Campers!" he shouted. "Time to go to morning session. You all should know where to go. If not, ask your head counselor. Remember, the conch horn signals lunch. Dismissed."

The campers broke off, some heading to different parts of the camp like the beach or rock climbing wall. Most walked in the direction of the arena. Annabeth and I followed them, trying to act like we've never really been at the camp. Dead giveaway if we suddenly started to lead groups places.

As we entered the large arena Annabeth leaned over and whispered, "Remember what I said." She walked over to her group near the archery targets and started to give instructions. Zoe grouped the Apollo campers near another set of targets and readied her bow. I took a deep breath and headed toward the far end of the arena where the Aphrodite campers were, sprawled out over the bleachers and gossiping.

"Zeta!" a girl squealed, jumping up off the bleachers and running over to me. "What do you think of my new perfume?" She took out a pink bottle and spritzed the air. "I just got it from Milan!"

"Uh. It's nice." I replied, uncomfortably. "So, today I'm going to be showing you-" I was cut off by Drew.