Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Annabeth, Zoe, Sam and I made our way up to the Mess Hall, following Chiron. I avoided his back end, long story short; if someone offers you a job in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade… decline. Chiron led us to the head table, the table he and Mr. D normally shared. Oddly, Mr. D seemed to be absent. I thought he was still on probation.

I leaned over and whispered to Chiron. "Chiron, Where's Mr. D?"

"My dear boy! You've certainly been gone too long. Mr. D's probation ended 200 years ago."

"200? But after the Battle of Manhattan, Zeus reduced it to 50."

"Well, you know Mr. D. Too many 'accidental.'" He put air quotes around accidental. "Summons of a wine glass and, you know that Zeus doesn't exactly have a sense of humor."

"No. I suppose uncle never really had one." I said, laughing. Sam elbowed me in the gut. "Shut it punk. Here come the campers now."

Massaging my ribs, I watched the campers file in, cabin by cabin.

Demeter, Ares, Athena, Apollo, Hephaestus, Aphrodite, Hermes, Dionysus, and a bunch of other minor gods and goddess' children.

I noticed Piper at the end of the Aphrodite line. I looked at Annabeth, and she shared my surprise.

"We can ask later." she whispered, reaching out to give my hand a squeeze. "Don't look now, but I think Jerome’s coming. Arrogant son of a gun.” She laughed at the idiotic words that were floating towards us from the pathway.

I shifted slightly to the right and there he was. In his short, annoying, power- hungry glory. He was smiling and waving, shouting, "You are absolutely right. I AM the best at everything!" He was carried into the Mess Hall on the shoulders by some of his cabin mates. Most likely his close supporters.

Sam groaned. "Is he going to be like this all the time?"                    

"I'm afraid so my dear." Chiron said, nodding sadly. Addressing the campers he announced, "Campers, please, sit down, sit down." After everyone was seated, Chiron continued. "We are joined today by some of Chaos's soldiers. This is Beta, Delta, Venatrix, and Zeta. They are here to train and prepare you for the upcoming war."

Jerome stood up. "This is nuts! You guys, they're obviously spies. Right Drew?"

Drew stood up. "We don't need them, listen to Jerome. He knows what's best. He’s the best fighter here and can train all of you by himself. We should fight them just in case they turn against us." Her words flowed over the audience like honey. She was charm-speaking them. Slowly, her charm was working. The campers were nodding in agreement and some even took out weapons. Only a couple campers weren’t affected and Piper was looking at both Jerome and Drew with disgust. At least Piper was still the same.

Chiron pounded his hoof on the stone floor. "Silence! And stand down! They are NOT spies. Jerome, I think it would be in your best interest if you and Ms. Tanaka would sit down. Now." His eyes turned steely and a colder shade of brown.

During this, I slipped my hand into Annabeth's and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

Oh, I should mention that Chaos gave us the ability to resist any charms and potions someone might put on us or give us. Like the Hermes gummy chews, except it lasts forever. He also gave us the ability to see each other's faces even with our masks on. Made it useful if we wanted to communicate, but still have our identities hidden.

Both Drew and Jerome sat down, arms crossed.

"Now that our guests are introduced, it is time for us to eat." Chiron turned to us and asked. "Will you dine with us or go somewhere else?"

I glanced at Annabeth. "If it's all the same to you, I think we'll stay."

A smile appeared on his face. "Wonderful. You can sit here.” He lowered his voice so that only we could hear. “I think if you two sat at your old tables, people might recognize you. Also, there’s more than enough room." He motioned for some satyrs to bring over some plates and goblets. “I shall leave you in peace now.” He promised to be back soon and trotted off.

I sat down and started tearing into a chicken leg.

"Hello. Earth to Zeta." said Annabeth, tapping me on the shoulder. "Aren't you going to sacrifice to the gods?"

"No way. Remember. We gotta stay under the radar."

She sighed. "I suppose you're right." Her smile brightened. "Hey Seaweed Brain. That's one of the first things that have actually made sense!"

"Really?" I asked. This never happens. Annabeth's always the smart one. The one that comes up with stuff first, and plans ahead. Saying I had a good idea, well... this is something I need to document in my journal. Not that I have a journal. I mean... I... oh forget it. I slid over to Annabeth on the bench and leaned in. "Hey, what's the deal with Piper?"

She shrugged. "I'm not sure. Maybe Chiron knows. We can ask when he come back.”

Speak of the centaur. Chiron chose that moment to canter up to us and stop beside the table. “Have a nice meal?”

I nodded and Annabeth spoke up. “Chiron, I have a question.”

"Yes my dear? What is it?”

"What's the matter with Piper?"

He scratched his head. "To be honest. I'm not really sure. One day, at breakfast, Drew came in leading the Aphrodite cabin. It seemed odd, but I didn't question it. You remember how quickly Piper came into the leadership role. I thought it was something like that. But then again, some things are never as they seem."

"I doubt it." replied Annabeth.

Chiron's gaze swept over the campers. They were laughing and talking, and finished eating. "Campers," he boomed, while stomping his hoof against the stones of the Mess Hall. "Time to head to the amphitheater for the campfire." All the campers got up in groups and started to move. Chiron turned back to us and said in a hushed tone, "I believe that if you pick the right moment, you can find out what you need from young Ms. McLean."

With that, he turned and trotted away, towards the amphitheater.