Chapter 24

Chapter 24

While we walked down the path to the amphitheater, Sam was grumbling the entire time grumbling about not signing up for singing.

“Of course you did.” I retorted after the 3000th time she said it.

"Whatever, come on. Let's go head to torture. Hopefully before they eat all the s'mores and other goodies."

I rolled my eyes and we continued to head down to the amphitheater. Sam stopped.

"Hey, Punk. How will we question little Miss Barbie Doll?" she asked, gesturing her head to the group of giggling Aphrodite campers.

"I say we grab her." Annabeth suggested. The three of us looked at her weirdly.

"What?" She asked. “Is there anything wrong with that? I meant exactly what I said. Think about it. There is no way Piper would ever go off with someone she doesn't know. Hence the grabbing. Plus, Piper is at the end of the Aphrodite line, making it easy to get her."

Sam groaned. "I hate to admit it Anna, but I think you're right."

Zoe agreed. “She is right. This may be the only time to talk to her alone.”

I put an arm around Annabeth and gave her an awkward hug. "Of course she's right. Remember her parentage. She’s from the smart side of the family."

"I keep forgetting." Sam turned around and gasped. "Guys, this way. Giggling girls at twelve o’ clock." She grabbed both Annabeth and I and dragged us into the brush on one side of the path, Zoe diving after us.

Ducking low, we waited until the Aphrodite group came closer. As they did, we caught snippets of their conversations. "...So cute. I mean his eyes are the most adorable shade of brown possible." "I wonder what those soldiers look like. I hope their cute. I mean, those helmets better not be covering up ugly faces. Plus, the guy’s voice sounded super sexy."

Annabeth cringed beside me and I placed a hand comfortingly on her back. She relaxed.

Drew's voice rang out. "Hun. They might be cute, but they obviously can't touch Jerome in looks. Right? And a sexy voice means nothing if he can't back it up with looks."

As she finished her sentence, I could feel waves of charm- speak rolling off her words. This was wrong on so many different levels. I looked up in time to see the campers nod in agreement. Soon, the majority of the campers had filed down the path. Sam reached out and snatched Piper from the end of the line, covering her mouth in the process.

Once safely in the cover of the plants, and the campers out of earshot, Sam whispered, "Now princess, don't make any sound. We just want to talk. Got it?"

Piper nodded, eyes wide. Sam looked at us and then removed her hand.