Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A month and about 29 days later we were getting really close to Earth. I was still thinking back to Annabeth and I's argument from a while back. My main worry: was I not being a good enough boyfriend? I mean, Annabeth… my loyal girlfriend thought I might have cheated with Sam. I was such a crappy boyfriend… not even able to completely convince her I was innocent and so much for trust. I sighed. And plus, I always dragged her battles and my problems. I was an even worse boyfriend. I shouldn’t bring her into those kinds of things, I should protect her instead of get her into life- threatening situations. I ran my fingers through my hair.

Annabeth walked in and sat down. "Percy? You okay?" she looked at me with concern.

I shook myself out of my thoughts and tried to look at her without giving away my emotions.. "Huh? Oh yeah, sure. What's up?"

She didn't look convinced, but answered, "We're getting close to Earth. Chaos wants us in the briefing room. Says he has something to show us." She held out her hand and I took it. We stood up and started the long walk to the conference room. As we walked, Annabeth suddenly stooped and asked, "Percy." You're acting weird. What's going on?"

"Annabeth. I'm fine.” I replied. “Don’t worry about it.”                                                               

“Oh no.” she growled. "Don't give me that crap. I want to know what’s up and I want to know now!"

I sighed and Annabeth glared harder at me. I decided to tell her some of my fears worries. "Annabeth. Do you ever feel like I drag you into trouble?"

"Sure. Lots of times. Is that what this is about? I can handle myself just fine." she replied, anger replacing her look of concern.

"No," I said hastily. "I just sometimes feel like you should have someone who doesn't drag you into dangerous situations. Where you could die or something."

The anger faded and was replaced with sadness and shock. "Percy. Don't think for a minute that I would hate you for dragging me into stuff. I mean some of our best memories come from dangerous situations. Remember Mount St. Helens?"

I smiled at the memory, but it quickly faded. "But you deserve someone who can give you stability and stuff like that. A normal life."

She laughed at that. "Percy. We're demi-gods. Nothing will ever be normal about us. And plus, I love how unpredictable you can be. It's one of your charms. Besides, Stability is overrated."

"As long as you're sure you’re willing to put up with a nut job like me."

She kissed me. "After 300 years and a couple months of dating, I think I've gotten used to you. And, I love nut jobs. I’m glad that that’s over with.” She glanced at me and her expression turned confused. “There’s something else bugging you. What else is up?”

“The sky.” I joked.

“Focus Percy. Tell me what’s going on with you.”