Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“Chaos!”

He spun around and held up a finger. “Melody, why didn’t I get that report!? It should’ve been here like, two days ago!” He listened to her response. “Well, try and make sure it gets here soon. That’s all.” He hung up and sighed. “What can I do for you Percy?”

“Well, I actually wanted to talk to you about Annabeth.”

“Ah, Annabeth. How is she feeling? Chrissy told me about the double poisons. Sounds a little serious, but I think she handle it. What’s your take on it?”

“Chrissy’s very good, but Annabeth kind of declined but she’s looking a little better. I think Chrissy said a couple more days and she should be mostly back to normal.”

“That’s great! So, what did you need concerning her? I ‘m right in the middle of trying to get a battle report.”

“Well, I was thinking of having her inducted into the army.”

“Hmm, I think we could do that. Any special skills or talents?”

“She’s a brilliant strategic person and if I may say so sir, amazing with a knife.”

“Well, our tactician is terrible. I think I can make this work, but you’re filling out the paperwork.”

“Thanks sir. And what’s this about a war report? Are we going to war with someone?”

“Well, I’ll tell you once I get it. Though I may need you, Sam, Zoe, and Annabeth to go… assist with the war. And if things are bad, then maybe you’re entire team. I’ll know more about it later.”

I stood and bowed slightly. “Thank you sir. I’ll leave you to your war report gathering.”

“Wait Percy.” He rummaged around in his desk and pulled out a clipboard. “Here’s the paperwork for Annabeth. She’s going to need to sign a couple of forms so… yeah.”

I took the clipboard and bowed again. “Thank you sir.”

I flashed out of his office and into the arena. I walked to a room off of the main gym and heard the familiar whir of a sword and the crack of wood. I peeked into the room and saw Sam backed up against a wall and Zoe perched onto of one of the pillars, firing arrows rapidly at her.

Sam looked quickly over to me and then focused her attention to chopping arrows in half before they hit her. “Percy! Stop this manic before she kills me!”

I leaned against the frame of the door and crossed my arms. “I’m good here.”

Sam groaned in frustration and switched her sword to one hand and continued to swing it. With her free hand, she pulled out a blunt edged boomerang. She threw it at Zoe and it knocked her from her perch. Sam gave a shout of delight as the arrows stopped flying. She raced over and brought the flat of her blade down to knock Zoe back. Before the blade struck, Zoe brought up a knife and stopped it. She moved the knife closer to the hilt of the sword and stood up slowly.

“Thou shall not get the best of me.” Zoe said through gritted teeth. She back flipped far enough to get out of the range of Sam’s blade and landed standing. Zoe moved in and rolled knocking Sam off her feet as she did so. Zoe ended her roll and came up standing, walking over to Sam, kneeled and held her knife to her throat. “For the 700th time in a row, the victory goes to me.” She removed the knife from Sam’s throat and stood.

Sam got up slowly and stomped over to me. “Hey Punk! Why didn’t you stop her from…?”

“Thrashing your behind?” I filled in, smirking.

“Oh, shut up.” She pushed passed me and stomped out of the arena and right to her room.

Zoe, who returned to her spot on the pillar jumped down and landed softly, with the grace of a huntress. “Percy, how are you?”

I shrugged. “Could be worse.” I waved the clipboard around. “Have to fill out some forms for Annabeth, and we might be asked to help out with a war, but other than that, okay.”

She looked at me questioningly. “A war?”

“Mhm, Chaos doesn’t have the details quite yet.”

“I see.” She checked her watch. “Well, it’s about two, so shall I instruct you in archery?”

I groaned. “Come on Zoe. You know that even the blessing of Apollo and Artemis combined couldn’t help me. I’m a son of Poseidon. Bows and I don’t mix.”

“’Tis no excuse.” She stomped her foot in frustration. “There is my accent again. I swear to the gods, she is the most infuriating person in the universe!”

I placed a hand on her shoulder. “It’s okay. Uh, Chaos said that you may or may not have to travel with us for the war thing. That includes Sam.”

Zoe gritted her teeth and turned her hunting knife dangerously in her hand. “Fine.” She sighed. ”If it’s for Chaos, I suppose I can get over my dislike for her.”

I grinned. “There’s the sprit Zoe!”

She clapped her hands together. “So no that that’s out of the way, archery?”

I groaned, but walked over and picked up a bow. Zoe snapped her fingers and a stand of arrows appeared next to me and a target a couple of yards away. She came over to me, bow in hand and nocked an arrow. After aligning the arrow, she let it fly… a perfect bull’s-eye.

She turned to me, a smirk on her face. “Okay, your turn.”

I picked up an arrow and aimed for the center. As expected, the arrow whizzed straight past the target and embedded itself into the opposite wall. I face palmed and turned to Zoe. “See, hopeless.”

“Again, but don’t fire.” Zoe ordered.

I did as she said and got into position. Zoe walked around me and examined my grip on the bow and my stance. She kneeled and fixed the position of my feet and rearranged my fingers on the string. She stood back and said, “Fire.”

I let loose and the arrow didn’t hit the center, but it did get somewhere on the target. I pumped my fist in the air and turned around to hug Zoe. “We did it… well you did it, but still!”

”You’re quite welcome.” She checked her watch. “Percy. It’s five. I think you promised Annabeth dinner.” She clapped her hands and a bag of takeout appeared next to my feet. “Tell her I say hello.”

She wrapped her hair into a bun and moved the target further back. I picked up the bag and headed out of the training room. As I was leaving, I could hear the thwack, thwack of arrows hitting their mark on a target.