Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Beckendorf placed a hand on my shoulder and teleported us outside. He led me down to a fenced enclosure. Just outside of the ring, I saw Silena removing old, bent feathers from a pure black Pegasus that was loosely tied to a fence post.

“This is for your own good!” She yelled as the Pegasus stamped and whinnied.

Oh no it isn’t! The Pegasus yelled. The only reason I haven’t turned you into mush with my hooves is because you’re a friend of Boss.

I laughed at the Pegasus. But wait, did he just call someone Boss? I spoke hesitantly. “Blackjack?”

 The black animal whipped its head around. Okay, I know that someone just called my name. BOSS! He whinnied and tossed his mane. He pulled his rope free and galloped over to me, knocking me over. He prodding me with his muzzle in delight. What are you doing here? And can I protest the treatment the camp gave me after you left? And this Aphrodite girl is pulling out my feathers! He huffed in outrage.

I stood and brushed bits of grass off my shirt. “Sorry about the feathers Blackjack, but Silena knows best. And besides, the feathers will grow back.” I responded.

Ugh. Well it still doesn’t excuse the fact that she’s doing it now! And you never answered me. What in the name of sugar cubes are you doing here?

“Annabeth, well… it looked like she’d cheated on me, so I left.”

Well geez Boss. What me to go down to Earth and pummel her into horse feed?

I laughed. “No that’s fine. I don’t think it was necessarily her fault.” I inclined my head at Silena. “Have you found anything?”

She nodded. “I found a couple things. I can show you if only a certain Pegasus would let me finish removing his bent feathers.”

Blackjack blinked. Who me?

“I’ll tell you what, if I can defeather him, can you show me?”

“Sure. Good luck, this one’s a handful.” She picked up a feed bucket and skipped away.

I guess I can let you pull out feathers Boss, but be careful! I don’t want to end up bald!

“Okay, I promise.” I started removing bent and damaged feathers. While I did so, I talked with Blackjack about how camp was after I left. I found out that Jerome had quickly asserted himself into the camp leader position. He was a child of Nemesis, but was one of those ones who was bent on wreak havoc. He also brought many people over to his side except for the Ares, Demeter, Hephaestus, and Hermes cabins. Blackjack also informed me that once Jerome found out that all the woodland spirits wouldn’t follow, he tried to have them removed from camp.

He even tried to kill me after he found out I was loyal to you! He huffed. This dude has a serious issue with you.