Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A couple days later I was in Central Park, bruised, battered and beaten. Riptide was in my hand and I was currently fighting off a hoard of pissed off snake ladies.

“Come back, Persssseus Jackssssson. We will feed off your flessssh and bonesssss.”

I snorted. “Not likely.” I lunged and swung my sword, cutting one of them in half.

She screamed and turning into a yellow dust, and filled the air with the smell of sulfur. Her sister shrieked with rage and came at me, talons outstretched and eyes blazing for murder. I continued to swing my sword, but each swing sapped me of my strength. One of them got a lucky hand inside my guard and scratched the front of my shirt. I stabbed her in the chest and she exploded. I felt dizzy, but I managed to decapitate the last monster. I sat down on a park bench and examined my wounds. I had a couple of scratches on my arms and face. I looked down at my chest and my breathing became shallow and my vision turned blurry. There were long, deep scratches down my chest. I fumbled around in my pack and pulled out the godly food. I broke a piece of ambrosia off from the tiny amount I had and stuffed it into my mouth. Unscrewing the cap to the nectar, I winced in pain as a poured a couple drops onto the scratches. The scratches closed, but the skin around them was still a sickly green color. Naturally, their claws were poisoned.

An unnaturally bright light appeared in the middle of the park. I walked toward it. The light grew brighter and I collapsed.

                                                                                      ~~~~

When I came to, there was a man peering down at me. I groaned and held my head. That white light gave me a splitting headache.

“Easy now. You may want to take your time getting up.” The man above me said.

My intelligent response? “Uh gah herrm.”

The man nodded as if he knew what I meant. “You are in quite bad shape Perseus.” He waved a hand over me and all the cut faded and the pain stopped.

I sat up slowly and looked at the man. “Sorry, but who in Hades are you?”

The man smacked his head. “I keep doing this. My name is Chaos. Heard of me?”

I shook my head.

“Well I expect they don’t teach you about entities older than the gods. I am one of the oldest things out there. I am the primordial of the void. Everything was born out of me.” He sat down and looked at me.

Even though my headache was gone, my head throbbed as I absorbed this new information. “But, I thought everything came from Gaia and Ouranos?”

“And where do you think Gaia came from?”

I shook my head, still confused and shocked at this new information. “So you fathered Gaia. What would you want with me? I’m just a demigod. I’m nothing special.”

“Ah, there’s where you’re wrong. You Perseus are a rather special demigod. You are loyal to a fault, something that is a rare quality. You are skilled in wielding a sword and you value all you friendships and other relationships. You also have a sense of humor, something else I value.” He smiled and continued. “And that is why I think you’d be perfect to be my right hand.”

I gazed at his hands. Yep, both intact. “Uh, you already have a right hand.”

Chaos chuckled. “Always with the jokes. I mean, right hand as in, you do what needs to be done. You’ll be taught everything I know and all that stuff. Will you accept?”

I thought about it. “Will I ever see my friends again?”

“Possibly, though the future is murky. It may be some time before you’re able to see them.”

I gave it careful thought. “I suppose anywhere is better than here.”

“Then you accept?”

I nodded and Chaos stood up and started to clap and squeal like a girl. He noticed me looking and composed himself. “Sorry.”

I laughed. “So where are we going and how soon do we leave?”

“Space. And right now.” He waved his arm in a circle and a swirling, black portal appeared. “After you.”

I swallowed and stepped through, into my new life.