Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Early the next morning, Chaos sent a briefing to the gods that informed them of the threat and how many enemies we’re up against. I would’ve killed to see their faces. That number dwarfed the number we had to face in the Gaia- giant war.

I woke up around seven and quickly got dressed. When I went downstairs, I found Annabeth bent over a map of Camp Half- Blood with a pencil sticking out of her mouth.

“Possible land attack, but a water attack would seem most likely. They could… no, that’s impossible. Let’s see, around 100 campers so…”

I went over to her and wrapped my arms around her waist, kissing her cheek. “Take a small break Wise Girl. You should get a snack, or breakfast. Whichever one works for you. Also, sleep is good. Sleep is nice. If I spoke Spanish, then I would say…” I thought hard about the limited Spanish classes I took. “Me gusta… uh… sleep.” I smiled and peered over her shoulder at the map.

She sighed. “Come on Percy. Tomorrow we’re going to be attacked, that’s if they don’t do a surprise attack before then. Our defenses need to be perfect. I can't sleep with the threat of death hanging over this camp. And the Spanish… it was so- so.”

“And they will be! After you have some poached eggs with me. And a nice little nap.”

“Fine.” She said, allowing me to drag her away to the kitchen. While I was preparing the eggs, Annabeth sat on the bar stool and had a pencil and pad of paper out. She was making notes and drawing diagrams, sometimes crossing stuff out and shaking her head. Finally she looked up. “Hey Perce? How would you feel if you and possibly Henry or James was with you to protect the beach and other water entrances?”

I sighed, walking over to her and snatching up her pad and pencil. I snapped my fingers, making them shrink and then slipped them both into my pocket. “Nuh- uh. No battle strategy until you eat food and talk about something other than war with me.”

She crossed her arms and glared at me. “Like what!? And Perce, I need my pencil and paper! Give it back!” She launched herself at me, which I easily sidestepped. Reaching out, I stopped her from hitting her face against the ground. I grabbed both of her arms and wrestled her to the ground, which was hard since she was putting up quite a fight. Pinning her to the ground with my knee, I leaning in close. “Oh Annabeth, why must you fight me? I’ll always win.”

“You irritate me Perseus Jackson!” She screeched. She twisted under my knee and yanked an arm free, groping for her knife.

I grabbed her arm and pinned it to the floor. “Geez Anna. If you keep fighting, you’ll just make things more difficult for yourself. And your eggs are getting cold. I made them just the way you like.”

Annabeth glared at me and started to yell at me. I had to shut her up, so I did the only thing I could think of, I pressed my lips to hers. We stayed the way for a couple of minutes. “You talk way too much.” I said, after I finally pulled away.

“Oh hush. And now I’m in the mood for eggs.”

I took the remaining pressure off Annabeth and stood up, offering her my hand. She took it and stood up with me. I kissed her again and whispered, I’ll compromise. If you eat your eggs, you can talk battle at the map table while you eat them.

She held out her hand and I shook it. “Deal!”

True to her word, she polished off her eggs. I smiled. “There’s a good girl Annabeth.”

“Oh hush. What’s next?”

“Well…” I stood and hauled her to her feet. “Time for this little lady to get some sleep.” I snapped my fingers and Annabeth’s plate vanished. Using my amazing strength, I hoisted her over my shoulder and carried her up the stairs. I placed her in the bed and tucked her in. “Okay, time to sleep.” I gathered up all the possible writing and planning instruments in the room and placed them in a duffel bag. I dimmed most of the lights and walked over to the couch, to study some of the maps.

Annabeth’s breathing filled the air and I smiled with relief… finally asleep. Probably the only good sleep she’d have in a while.