Chapter 22

Chapter 22

We flashed right inside the border of camp, next to Thalia's tree. Peleus woke and started to growl at us. Zoe jumped back and hid behind me, still a reflex from her dealings with Ladon.

Annabeth walked over to him and stroked his snout to soothe him. "Shh. It's okay. It's just me." Peleus still growled, so Annabeth removed her hood and asked us to keep watch. “It’s okay Peleus. It’s Annabeth, remember me?” Apparently, the dragon did and relaxed. He started to drift off to sleep and snore.

"Hey, Anna. You want to quit that!? You're supposed to act like you've never been here before." Sam whispered angrily. “And put up your hood while you’re at it. No one is supposed to know our identities.”

Annabeth glared at Sam, but put up her hood. "I just saved us from being burned to a crisp, or chopped up like bacon."

"I hate bacon." came a voice from behind us.

We turned and I gasped quietly. There stood Grover, furry behind and all. "I told to take you to Chiron. He's our activities director. My names Grover by the way. Lord of the Wild." he extended his hand and I shook it. Looks like he hadn’t aged a day, I wonder why, maybe some satyr magic.

"Nice to meet you Grover." I replied. "My name is Zeta. This is Beta, Venatrix, and Delta." I said, pointing to myself, then Sam, Zoe, and Annabeth.

"Cool. Greek alphabet, and is that Latin? A few months ago we had this awesome Greek teacher. She was one of my oldest friends. Unfortunately, she went away and now the campers can't tell a sigma from a kappa. I miss her. Her boyfriend disappeared even longer ago.” He sniffed sadly. “And our resident Latin speaker is somewhere. On a mission for the gods I think." Grover shrugged and sniffed again. I wanted to help him or hug him or both, but we couldn't jeopardize our mission. I looked over at Annabeth and I could tell from her body language that she felt the same way.

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry Grover. I promise, things will get better."

"Really?" he asked hopefully.

"Sure. You can't always have bad luck. Nemesis wouldn't allow it." She also reproduced and gave us Jerome. Lucky us. Chaos also informed us that Jerome’s actions seemed a little shady and that we should keep an eye on him. He also told us that we couldn’t hurt Jerome as he might be innocent. I was a little mad when I received that piece of news; I wanted to hit him for drugging Annabeth all those years ago.

"I guess you're right." he replied, drying his eyes on the hem of his Save the Wild shirt. "Come on. I still have to take you to see Chiron."

We followed our goat friend past the volleyball courts and around to the front porch of the Big House. He led us inside and to a door at the end of the hall on the first floor. He knocked and a voice answered, "Yes?"

Grover cleared his throat. "Chiron. I brought the Chaos Warriors to see you like you asked."

Clops were heard on the other side of the door and some rustling papers. "Okay. Bring them in Grover."

He opened the door and there stood Chiron. Brown hair and eyes with a pure white horse body. Bushy eye brows and the intense glare that intimidated even the Ares kids. Oh, how I missed him. He was the best teacher ever.

Chiron turned and his eyes widened. "Grover. Will you please leave us?"

"Are you sure? I can-" he stopped mid-sentence and then turned and backed quickly out of the room.

When the door closed, the centaur moved to close the blinds. Once closed, he rounded on us. "Percy, Annabeth I know it's you." He turned to Zoe in her silver armor. “And you my dear radiate that kind of ancient power. I believe you must be Miss. Nightshade.”

Sam got in a fighting stance, drawing her knife. "How do you know them, centaur."

"My dear. I've spent many summers with Percy. There is no one quite like him. The sea green armor was a small clue, but it was in the way you carried yourself. As for Annabeth, same reasons, though I've spent more time with her. Zoe has a certain aura about her. I also know I'm right by the way you were quick to fight me. This was supposed to be a well-guarded secret, I take it."

I removed my helmet and Annabeth, Zoe, and Sam did the same. She lunged at Chiron and hugged him, her body shaking with happy tears.

"It's good to see you my dear." he said, stroking her hair lovingly. "And Percy. You've certainly become a fine young man. For what it's worth, I never believed the boy called Jerome. Though his mother is Nemesis, all the boy wants to do is take down the powerful. I have suspicions, but I must gather more evidence before I make any conclusions."

I stood there, my brain completely shut down after Chiron said he believed we were innocent. He really was the best. I walked around the desk and hugged him, just like Annabeth.

"Now, let's not get too emotional." He patted us both gently on the back.

We release Chiron and sat down, Sam on the couch with Zoe next to her and me in the chair on the other side of the desk. Since there was no other chair besides Chiron's wheelchair, or any room on the couch, Annabeth decided to sit on me. I blushed and looked to Chiron. “So Chiron, what’s up?”

He folded hands looked at Sam. "So, my dear. Who are you?"

"Sam Burns. My whole name is Samantha, but so help you if you call me that…" She let that threat hang in the air.

Chiron nodded. "I understand. Just like young Percy here. Hates his entire name.”

“Young!?” I screeched. “I’m like 317 years old.”

“But compared to me, that is still quite young.” He turned back to Sam. “Who is your parent?"

"Theia. Titaness of the shining light or something like that."

"I see. Very interesting. And Zoe, my dear. It’s been ages. How are you out of the stars? From what I hear, Lord Ouranos doesn’t let anyone leave once they come in.”

“Well, Lord Chaos has some pull up there. He pulled a couple strings and I was welcomed into the army. It really was all Percy’s doing.”

Chiron smiled. “Of course it was. So, back to business. What are you four doing down here, not that I’m not glad to see you, but this seems a little sudden.”

Annabeth told Chiron the main situation and out mission, with either Sam, Zoe, or I jumping in occasionally to fill in a detail. She told him of the threat against Olympus and how we were supposed to train the campers. She told him that 5 other people were going to arrive tomorrow, but they were part of the army and not to worry.

Soon, a conch shell rang in the distance. Chiron rose out of his wheelchair. Hm, I wonder when he stepped into that. I don’t remember, but that explains why I thought he seemed shorter!

"Dinner time, my children. I suggest you put on your helmets. It is time to introduce you to the campers."