Chapter 28

Chapter 28

After our first training accident, things ran more smoothly. The campers were coming along nicely. They weren't up to soldier level, but they were acceptable; able to last at least thirty seconds with Sam in the ring instead of just being knocked out right away. To celebrate one week on Earth together and not murdering any of the campers, I decided to take Annabeth out on a date. Something special. After some planning, I came up with the perfect date. I walked up to Annabeth and wrapped my arms around her. "I have a surprise planned for you."

"Really? What is it?"

I laughed softly "If I told you now it wouldn't be a secret. It's right outside. Ready?"

She sighed. "I suppose. As long as it doesn't blow up."

"Oh, really. Ye of little faith." I said rolling my eyes. I unraveled my arms and grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the door. I stopped right before the door and reached into my pocket and pulled out a necklace. "I forgot, here. This necklace is designed to make your appearance different to anyone who doesn't know it's really you. Just a precaution. It's better than wearing a helmet right?"

She slipped it on. "I suppose you're right. Okay, so where are we going?"

"Patience. Our ride is outside." I opened the door and there stood a pure black Pegasus.

"Blackjack?"

The Pegasus whinnied at his name and shook his head up and down.

"I found him a little while after I joined Chaos. He was turned immortal at my request by Chaos. I got onto Blackjack's back and extended my hand to Annabeth. She took it and I hoisted her onto his back.

Yo, boss. Lay off the hamburgers and fries okay? Blackjack spoke in my mind. And thanks for getting me out of that place. Silena cut down on the sugar cubes. I hope you have some!

I laughed promised him some extra cubes later. Then I told him, "You know where to go."

He whinnied and took off. We headed to Waterland. The same place as our first quest. Blackjack stopped and we jumped off.

I'll wait here. Oh look. There's a doughnut shop not far from here. Be right back. Call if you need me. He flew off and I turned to Annabeth. There was confusion written all over her face.

"What's going on Percy?"

"I thought a trip down memory lane was in order." I answered, taking her hand and, leading her towards the Tunnel of Love. Once we got there I said, "Since it's completely broken down, I thought we could walk it." Without waiting for a reply I gently pulled her into the ride. As we walked we talked about how awkward it was when we were on it the first time. We walked a little farther and Annabeth stopped and pointed.

"Hey look." She said. "It's that place where we almost got smashed. We didn't die thanks to my calculations."

I snorted. "Yeah. Those 'calculations 'almost killed us too."

She shoved me playfully. "Shut up. At least Grover had those flying shoes. If only we found out about Luke earlier..." She looked sadly.

I tried to steer the conversation back to a happier mood. "Yeah. I miss G-Man. I wonder how he's been."

"I think he's doing just fine. Don't worry. With Juniper at his side, he's golden."

"True." A thought occurred to me. "Hey, Annabeth. Why does Grover look like he hasn't aged? Shouldn't he be like really old? Like, a little older than us?"

"The gods granted him immortality. Even though he's a satyr, he was there for all the major battles. I guess the gods decided that he deserved it. Also, I think I heard Mr. D saying something along the lines of, 'Grover's the best Lord of the Wild we've had in a long time.' To be honest, that comment scared me. It's hard to imagine a nice Mr. D." She shook her head trying to rid her mind of that image.