Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I presses the down button and waited for the elevator. While I waited, I kept going back to one thought: if Beckendorf and Silena were here, how many of my dead friends were here as well? The elevator doors opened and I stepped through. Pressing the button for the stables, the doors closed and I shot down to the ground level. I stumbled out and checked the map; go left, out the doors, and make a right.

I walked down the long hallway and pushed open the large windowed doors at the end. My nose led me right to the stables where a small, slim girl was handing out apples to some horses. Her glossy black hair was pinned up in a bun and she wore a simple light pink shirt and jeans.

I approached her and leaned against the barn door frame. "Well, well Silena. Long time, no see."

She jumped and turned around sharply, her blue eyes full of shock and surprise. "Percy!" she squealed. "What are you doing here?" she dropped the apple she was currently holding and gave me a bear hug. The horse she was currently feeding gave an annoyed snort and stamped its long, lean legs.

Darn girl! All I wanted was the apple!

I laughed as I listened to the horse's outraged complains. "Uh, Silena. That horse is about to start a horse strike if you don't finish feeding her."

She pulled away and picked up the apple. "Sorry Blitz." She snapped her fingers and the apple was cleaned of the dirt and grass. She held the apple out and Blitz gingerly took it from her hand.

That's better. Hello Lord Perseus.

I reached over and stroked the mares white mane. "Hey Blitz. How's life?"

Life would be better if I had a couple more sugar cubes.

I glanced at Silena. "How many sugar cubes has she had?"

Don't listen to her! She doesn't know anything!

"About six." Silena answered. She glared at the mare. "Which is about six too many!"

Blitz tossed her mane. Fine, I didn't want any sugar cubes anyways.

I laughed and Silena looked at me curiously. "What'd she say?"

"Oh, nothing. How are you?"

She looked at me suspiciously, but dropped the subject. "Fine, alive. I still dislike the fact that you can understand them and I can't."

Let's keep it that way! Whinnied Blitz.

I gave the horse one last stroke and looked around the barn. "Do you take care of all these horses yourself? And how many are there?"

"Oh, I'd say around 300. And I have a couple of people helping, so it's really not hard work. Though I have a couple that give me a hard time." She motioned towards the back of the barn where I could hear loud bangs and crashes.

I went over to investigate. In the first stall was a beautiful grey mare slamming her foreleg into the front of her stall.

Dirty rotten water! Gross hay! Why do they keep me locked in this stupid cage!?

"Uh, Silena. This one wants new water and hay. And to be let out of her stall."

Darn right! Wait, you can understand me?

I nodded. "And your name is..."

Mist, Lord. Please to make your acquaintance.

"You too Mist. If I promise to let you out, will you behave from now on?"