Chapter 29

Chapter 29

“She’s absolutely beautiful,” I said.  “She’s got my face but she’s got Will’s hair and hopefully his eyes.”

“I’m so happy for you,” Cora said, taking me in her arms and hugging me.

“I just wish you could see her in person,” I said, wiping my eyes.  “I know she’ll want to meet you, but I know she can’t.  I’m going to tell her all about you, though, and all about this.”

“You need to,” she said.  “All of your children.  They need to know about everything.  And all of you should be the ones to tell them.”

“We are,” I said.  “We’ve already talked about all of this.  We’re going to tell all of our children when they’re old enough.  We don’t want to tell them when they’re little.”

“That would be best,” she said, nodding.  “They won’t know what you’re telling them about.  It’s best that you wait until they’re at least able to know what’s going to happen.”

I felt something then, something telling me that I need to go.  Cora noticed the change in me.  She smiled.

“Go on,” she said.  “Baby Cora needs you.”

“So you do like the name we picked out for her?” I asked, standing up. 

She stood too.  “How could I not?” she asked, laughing.

“She was named after a very special person in my life,” I said.

“And I’m sure she’ll live up to that name, too,” Cora said, and hugged me again.  “I don’t know when I’ll see you next.”

I laughed.  “It’ll probably be a little while.  Until we get on a schedule,” I said. 

“You’ll be a great mom,” she said. 

“I’ll see you soon,” I said, and closed my eyes.

I wasn’t where I needed to be when I opened them up again, though.  I was standing on the top of a grassy hill.  Standing next to me was the girl, Rayney, but now she had a tattoo on her cheek.  She was looking in the direction of the sun, only the stars were out in the sky.  I looked and realized it wasn’t the sun at all. 

It was a city.

There was a thudding sound, and then about ten or more helicopters flew above our heads.  They were heading in the direction of the city.  Someone came up behind her and wrapped their arms around her waist.  It was the guy from the woods – the one who she’d threatened to kill – only now he had a strange tattoo on his cheek, just like she did.  She leaned back against him and he kissed her cheek.  He took her hand in his and together they walked.

When I woke up, there weren’t a lot of people in the room.  Will was sleeping in the chair beside the bed and baby Cora was yawning in the bassinet beside me.  I reached over and picked her up, cradling her in my arms.

“Hey, sweetie,” I said to her, smiling, as I smoothed my hand over the top of her dark head of hair.  She looked up at me with her bright blue eyes and yawned again.  I leaned down and kissed her forehead.  When I looked back over at Will, he was sitting up and watching me.

He smiled.  “Everything’s clicked into place, hasn’t it?” he asked, getting up and coming to sit on the bed beside me.  He wrapped an arm around me. 

“Yeah,” I said, laughing, as I looked back down at Cora.  “It has.” 

He leaned in and kissed my forehead.  Right as he did, a camera flashed.  And when I looked up, Remy was standing there with the camera in her hand.