Chapter 20

Chapter 20

It was just me and Cora.  Before I could even say anything, she knew something was wrong.

“What’s happened?” she asked.

“I found out who’s doing all of this,” I said.

“Who?”

“Matt,” I said, looking down.  “I dreamed about the crash during English today and his face showed.  It would never do that the past couple of times.  It was always clouded, so I didn’t know who it was.  But now I know and everything’s been screwed up.”  A tear slid down my cheek.

“What do you mean?” Cora asked.

“I went and met with him.  He’d been leaving notes around the school all day.  I met him behind the field house.  And just like what Alina said would happen, he wanted me for himself.  I tried to do what she did, pretend, but it didn’t work, even though he probably did enjoy kissing me and the look on Will’s face when he found us making out.”

“Why didn’t you stop him?” Cora asked.  “And why didn’t you explain anything to Will?”

“I tried,” I cried.  “He wouldn’t listen to anything I said.  I’d been keeping all of this from him, so he thought that the thing with Matt was what it was.  And when he found us like that…it was horrible.  Just the look on his face…”  A tear rolled down my face at the image.  “And like I said, he wouldn’t listen to me, so Remy’s over there right now telling him everything.”

“She’ll get him to listen.  That’s all you need right now, him being mad at you for trying to protect him, even if he didn’t know it.”

“He’s more than mad though,” I said.  “He said he didn’t want to see me again.”

“It’ll be fine,” Cora said.  “I promise.”

“I don’t know,” I said.  “I just want to look at what’s happened today and go through it.”

“You know what to do,” she said, smiling.

She was right.  I did know what to do.  I closed my eyes and went back, back to the beginning of the day.

I skipped through the first hour or two of school to where Will was walking to class while I stayed behind because of the note on the wall.  When he walked through the door of our classroom and sat down at his desk, there was a note there.  He picked it up and opened it.

Your girlfriend seems like she’s hiding something from you.  Don’t you want to find out? it read.

Will shook his head and looked toward the door, waiting for me to come in I guessed.  But when I hadn’t for a good twenty minutes, he started to worry.  He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket.

Reagan still hasn’t come to class yet.  I think something’s wrong, he wrote, and then sent it to Remy. 

A few seconds later, Remy wrote back.

Where is she?

I don’t know, he wrote.

I’ll find her.

Will waited for Remy to write back for a few minutes.  But when she didn’t, he raised his hand to go to the bathroom, only the teacher didn’t know that really wasn’t what he was going to do.

I didn’t know that he’d gone to look for me also.  That was always the worst part when I went back to see what else happened in certain scenes.  There was always something that had happened that I had no idea did.