Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“Reagan, wake up!” I heard from the direction of my doorway, but I didn’t want to open my eyes.

“Five more minutes,” I groaned, turning my face into my pillow.

“You don’t want to be late for the first day of school, do you?”  They were standing near my bed then.

“Yes, I do.” 

“Will’s going to be here in, like, an hour.”

I turned over and sat up straight, wide awake now.  Remy was standing at the foot of my bed, laughing.

“Knew that would get you up,” she said.

“Of course that would get me up,” I yawned, stretching my arms above my head.

She went back to her room, through our closet – which was a room itself – and I got out of bed to go take a shower.

It was the first day of our senior year and the end of the summer, which had to be one of the best summers of my life.  I spent most of my time with Will, of course.  We just hung out, talked about countless and pointless things, or watched movies.  It’s pretty much what we did when we were just friends, but there was no kissing then and now there’s a lot of it.

Of course I spent time with Remy, too, but that doesn’t include the times when she would come barging into my room, causing Will and I to break apart.

We did go on vacation, but this time we drove instead of taking a jet.  We were still a little hesitant about flying.  We went to Florida, including our parents, where there were golden sands, the sunshine, and the dreams.

By dreams, I mean dreams that I have of things that are going to happen in the future.  Luckily the ones that I’d been having weren’t anything dramatic like my ones about our jet crash over spring break, which had us lost in the middle of nowhere for two weeks.  I had normal dreams and dreams that told me things like what we would be having for dinner.  Things like that, normal things.

I still wasn’t fully awake when I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen, where I found Remy already sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.  Mom was next to the stove, filling a plate with what looked like a mountain of food.

“Mom, you really go overboard with this, you know,” I said, stifling a yawn as I sat down next to Remy at the table.

“I know,” she said as she put the plate on the table in front of me, “but you two are seniors this year and this is the last time I’m going to get to cook your first day of school breakfast.  I mean, next year you’re going away to college.  You two are growing up so fast.”  She choked up a little at the end.

“Aw, Mom, don’t be like that. You know we’ll still come and visit,” Remy said as she finished of her last bite of pancake.  “It’s not like we’re leaving and never coming back.  We love this boring little town too much.”

I laughed.  It was true we missed Jasper a lot in the few weeks we were lost after the plane crash, even though we didn’t have anything to do here.  But Jasper was moving up in the world now.  We were finally getting better restaurants than Waffle House, so that was a big plus.

“I know, but still,” Mom said just as Dad came through the kitchen door and said, “Hey, kiddos!”

He walked over, kissed Mom and the tops of mine and Remy’s heads, and then sat down at the table with us.  I looked at Remy.  She was shaking her head, but smiling.  We both knew what was coming up next:  Dad’s first day of school speech.  It had been dreaded every since the second grade.