Chapter 23

September

Chapter 23

The day had come to go looking for furniture for the nursery.  I still hadn’t seen it yet – no one would even let me go near the door – but at least I was able to be the one that got to pick everything out.  I was riding with Mom and Katherine to the furniture store and Remy was going to meet us there. 

She’d started classes about three weeks before.  I’d started with online classes, too.  I was trying to stay on course before the baby came, that way I wouldn’t fall behind that much when she was born.  Everyone else was starting classes also.  Will was still working with my dad and going to college part time also.  It was taking a lot out of him, but my dad was only having him work two or three times a week now so it wasn’t as hard on him.

“Soon, I’m not even going to be able to get the seat belt around me,” I said, readjusting myself in the seat.  I was thirty weeks along and I was huge.

“We’re almost there,” Mom said, laughing.

“Yeah, but when we do get there and start walking around, I’ll be tired and want to sit down,” I said. 

“At least you’re not on bed rest like I was with you and Remy,” she said.

“I’d rather be lying in bed right now,” I grumbled.

“You wanted to pick out everything,” Katherine said from the backseat.  “We could have made everything a surprise.”

“Nope,” I said.  “I’d rather my back be killing me while I shop for stuff than not know at least a couple of things that are going into her room.”

“And you’re still not going to tell us what her name’s going to be?” Mom asked.

I smiled.  “You guys are keeping something from me, so we’re keeping her name a secret from you.”

“It just better not be some crazy name,” Mom said. 

“I think you guys will like it,” I said.

We pulled into the parking lot then.  I unbuckled, opened the door, and got out.  Remy was a few cars down from us.  When she saw me get out, she started toward me.

“Hey,” she said.

“How was school?” I asked.

“Boring like always,” she said, smiling.  She put her hand on my stomach.  “And how’s my little niece?”

“Killing my back,” I said as I put my hands on my back and stretched. 

“Let’s go do some furniture shopping!” she said.

We walked into the store, my stomach leading the way in.  We headed right toward the furniture, even though Remy stopped for a second to look at bedding for the crib.  We would have to look at that after we bought furniture.

“Do you want white furniture or the wood furniture?” Mom asked, looking at the different styles of baby furniture.

“I want wood, but the darker color.  I like it better,” I said. 

“There’s a set over there,” Remy said, pointing toward the back corner.  And we made our way toward it.

It was exactly what I’d wanted.  The crib was perfect and so were the dresser and the changing table.  There was even a glider rocking chair that matched everything.  I sat down in it and sighed.

“It’s perfect,” I said.  “Exactly what I wanted.  And this chair is so comfortable.”

“Can I help you ladies with something?” the sales woman asked, smiling.