Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The next morning, I couldn’t help but stare at Leo as he drove the Lamborghini to school.  It was still hard to believe that he was a guy who was from Italy in fourteen ninety-five.  And it was also hard to believe that he’d been in almost every century after that.  I still wondered if he ever got involved with those girls that he’d thought were me after he met them.  I believed that he’d never been physical with anyone, but I still wondered if he’d kissed them.

He finally noticed me staring when he’d pulled into a spot in the student parking lot.

“What?” he asked, smiling.

“Nothing,” I said, shaking my head.  He couldn’t know what I was thinking about. 

“Well, let’s not keep Nic and Brittany waiting,” he said, laughing as he got out.  He walked over to my side and opened my door.  “And did I tell you how beautiful you look?”

“Every day,” I said, smiling, getting out.  I straightened my dark red knee-length dress and white pea coat that I wore over it.  “And thank you.”

“You’re very welcome,” he said, cradling my face in his hands.  He leaned down until his lips met mine. 

“You know there are multiple hotels in this city,” someone called from across the lot.  “And I’d be happy to pay if I didn’t have to see this every day!”

Leo laughed against my lips and pulled back, smiling.  “We know, Brittany,” he said, turned toward where she and Nic were walking toward us.

“Well, then, let’s get to class then,” she said.  “There’s plenty of time to do what it was you guys were doing later.”

Leo took my hand and we walked toward them.  I looked at Brittany, smiling, and shook my head. 

She’d left my apartment about an hour after we’d almost gotten caught sneaking around in Leo and Nic’s apartment.  It took us about fifteen minutes after we’d gotten back to stop laughing.  But once we did, my mom made us ice cream sundaes, saying that we were having too much fun and needed to settle down.  I told her that she shouldn’t be feeding us sugar if she wanted that to happen.  She just smiled and stole a bite of my sundae.

We made it to first class, stopping at our lockers on the way.  Derrick was already there, snoring on his desk.  He looked stoned like he usually was these days, even when he was with Shelby. 

Mrs. McKenzie was already in the classroom, too, which was odd because she usually came in after the bell.  As we made our way back to our desks, she turned from what she was writing on the board and looked at us.

“Sabina, Brittany, can you two move one seat back?  We’ve got another new student and I know you two will be perfect in helping to show her around,” she said.

“Sure,” I said, and moved my bag to the seat behind me.  Brittany did the same.

“So, what did you two do last night?” Brittany asked Leo and Nic. 

“Nothing really,” Nic said, looking at Leo.  “We had some things we had to do.”

“What about you two?” Leo asked.  “We know it was probably hard without us there to entertain you.”

“Hardly,” Brittany said, laughing.  I gave her a look.  “We didn’t really do much.  Ate dinner, had ice cream.  Nothing unusual.”

“Sounds pretty boring,” Nic said, laughing.

“It was, kind of,” Brittany said.  “We were bored, so we looked up different time period between fifteenth century Italy and now.”

I gave her a ‘shut up’ look.  “Yeah, but that was pretty boring, too,” I said.