Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Forty-five minutes later, I was making my way downstairs to the kitchen.  Mom was getting ready for work, so we were stuck with Dad’s waffles from the toaster, which most of the time burnt.

“I think I’ll just wait for the trip over there to eat.  There’s better food on the jet,” I said, grabbing a bottle of water out of the fridge.

“You don’t want any of these tasty waffles?” Remy said, twirling a forkful of burnt waffle in my face.

“I’ll pass,” I said.

“I’m a worthless cook,” Dad sighed. 

“It is kind of sad when you can’t work a toaster,” Remy said, laughing.

The doorbell rang just as Dad was turning around to say something back to Remy.

“I guess you can’t threaten to take away our trip now, can you?” I laughed, standing up and rushing to the door behind Remy, who had gotten up a second before me.

“Patrick!” we both yelled when we swung open the door. 

“Miss Remy, Miss Reagan,” Patrick said, smiling.  “It’s been such a long time.”

“You haven’t changed a bit,” I said, laughing.  Patrick was in his mid-fifties and was already completely gray.  It suited him, though.  He was tall and had broad shoulders that made him look like he worked out all the time, which he never did.

“You two seem to be more beautiful than the last time I saw you,” Patrick said.

“Thanks,” we said.

“Now, where’s your luggage so I can get it in the car with Danny?” he asked.

“Who’s Danny?  Is he new?” Remy asked as we lead Patrick to where we had set our luggage.

“He’s been with us for a few months now,” Patrick said, and then caught sight of our pile of suitcases.  “Now I know why your father asked for another car along with the limo.”

“So he did get us a limo,” Remy said, smiling.

“Like he always says, only the best for his girls,” Patrick said, laughing.  He picked up three of our bags and Remy and I got the rest.  We walked out the front door and down the sidewalk.  There sat a stretch Hummer limo and an Escalade parked in front of it.  A dark haired man got out of the front of the Escalade and came toward us.  He must have been Danny.

“Can I get those?” he asked me.

“Sure,” I said, handing him one of the suitcases.  “There are a lot of them.  I just hope they’ll all fit.”

“We’ll make them fit,” he said.

“How did you get that gigantic thing turned around in our driveway?” Remy asked Patrick.  “I mean, it’s huge!”

“Years of practice,” he said.  “It’s not that hard once you get the hang of it.  Now, who are we picking up first?”

“Will,” I said.  “Then we’ll pick Rebecca up.  After that, we’ve got to pick up Will’s cousin, Wes, and our friends Tyler and Carlee live right across the street from him, and then that’ll be all of us.”

“Right then,” he said.  “I know the way to Will’s house, but you’ll have to show me the way to the others.”

“No problem,” Remy said.  “Now, can we get going?”

“We’ve got to go say goodbye to Mom and Dad,” I said, and we both headed into the house.  Mom and Dad were both in the living room.

“Are you guys leaving already?” Dad asked, getting up from one of the couches.