Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The only thing that I had to say was thank you to whoever thought of spring break.

School was terrible. Tests, homework, and, of course, the drama of being in high school were piling up to a point that I couldn't even see over the top of it. Everything was going crazy.

First, Kara ran up to me crying hysterically in the middle of the hall, saying that Matt, her boyfriend, cheated on her with Lynn, who was known to hit on all of the guys who had girlfriends. I tried to comfort her, but nothing would work. Next, Matt came running down the hall, coming straight toward us. Once he reached us, he tried to explain to Kara that it was all a misunderstanding. She started yelling at him, but then she turned and ran, sobbing even louder, down the hall and into the girls' bathroom.

He tried to go after her, but, yeah. No boys in the girls' bathroom, buddy! Well, at least he tried. He sat there by the door for a good forty-five minutes, missing half of second class, until she came out. I guess that after his explanation, she believed him because they were cuddled up at lunch later that day.

Does that oddly sound like a television show about life in high school or what?

That's probably the most interesting thing that happened that day. The joy of living in a small town with nothing to do.

Jasper had to be the worst town to live in. There wereno places to shop, no places to hang out, and the closest thing to a nice, sit-down restaurant was a Waffle House.

My grandfather, Benjamin Thomas, had been one of the wealthiest oil tycoons in the United States and my dad owned a computer software company, so my family had a lot of money. We could afford one of the nicest and biggest houses in Georgia, or maybe even in the U.S., but no. My mom wanted to live in one of the 'prettiest little towns' she had ever laid eyes on. She claimed that she had always wanted to live here ever since she'd come up here when she was a teenager. Even though she and my dad loved it, Jasper was our definition of hell.

Our, meaning me and my twin sister, Remy. Yes, we looked exactly alike, but we have barely anything in common as for our interests, except that we're each other's best friend. She's interested in the latest trends in the fashion world, what happened on 90210 or The Vampire Diaries last week, and boys...lots and lots of boys. Don't get me wrong, I liked to talk about boys, too, but I have more important things to worry about. Like finals, getting good scores on the SAT, and, okay, I'll admit, Will Anderson. But he's not my definition of boy.

Oh, Will. He was our father's best friend's son and was totally gorgeous. Every girl in school wanted him, but he didn't pay attention to any of them. He's also one of our best friends since we all grew up together, but I've only liked him as a friend up until the summer after freshman year. That's when everything changed.

He and his family had gone to Italy for two and a half months over summer vacation, leaving me and Remy with nothing to do. Well, when he came back, all I had to think was that there must have been something in Italy's water.

His face had lost its roundness, leaving behind the chiseled face of a god - sharp cheek bones, a square, perfect jaw, and a white, beautiful smile that could take your breath away.

When we went to welcome them back at the airport, Remy had looked at him the same as she always did - as a friend. But when he walked out of the terminal with his mom and dad, I didn't even recognize him. I had always thought Will was cute, but then he was totally gorgeous.

I was the first one he had hugged when they walked over to where we were standing. I still couldn't take my eyes off of him. It looked like he had been working out. His upper body was sculpted and defined, unlike it had been two months earlier. And when he hugged me, it felt like I could stay there forever in the circle of his arms.