Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“When are they going to be here?” I asked Mom as I sat at the kitchen table.  She and Grandma Lena were making a big breakfast.  It seemed like it would be able to feed our entire family and maybe even a few other people. 

“In an hour or two maybe,” she said.  “They really didn’t set a time.”

“I can’t wait for them to come,” I said.  “We haven’t seen them in a year.  Annabel probably looks the same as always.”

“She cut her hair, but not that much,” Grandma Lena said.  “They sent me a picture around Christmas.  It’s probably grown a bit.”

Remy walked into the kitchen then.  “I think Uncle Brent just pulled into the driveway,” she said.

“Are you sure?” Mom asked. 

“I’m pretty sure,” she said.  “He’s the only person I know who has a lime green Mustang.”

“He still has that car?” I asked, laughing, as I got up and went to the door with them.

“He will never get rid of that car,” Mom said, unlocking the door.  “Not after he spent so much money fully restoring it.”

We stepped outside on the porch and went around the side of the house.  Only it wasn’t Uncle Brent getting out of the driver’s seat.  It was Annabel.

“Hey!” she squealed, her long, dark red curls flying in her face as she shut the door and ran toward us.

“What are you doing here so early?” I asked, laughing.  “And why are you driving the Green Machine?”  That was Uncle Brent nickname for the car.  The name was cornier than the car, thank God.

“It’s mine now,” she said, laughing.  “Mom made him get a more practical car.  She was tired of the lime green.”

“So he just gave it to you?” Remy asked.

“Yep, he could bear the thought of selling it.  I love it, though,” she said. 

“Where are your parents?” Mom asked.

“They were in behind me.  They must have caught a few red lights on the way,” she said.  She turned to me.  “So, show me!”

“Show you what?” I asked innocently.

She rolled her eyes dramatically.  “The ring and the baby bump!” she said, and I held out my left hand.  She took it and her eyes widened.  “Good God!  That thing’s huge!”

I laughed.  “I know,” I said.

“I feel like I should be in one of those commercial and say, ‘He went to Jared’ or something like that,” she said, laughing.  “Okay, now for the next!”  She looked down at my stomach.  “Oh, my God!  Remy was right!  You do have a cute little baby bump.”

“When did you talk to Remy?” I asked.

“I emailed her last week,” Remy said.  “And called her yesterday.”

Annabel put her hand on my stomach.  “And you can feel it!  There’s a little tiny baby in there!” she said.

“Yeah, but it’s not going to be tiny for much longer,” I said.  “It’s about this big right now.”  I spread my fingers apart about three and a half inches. 

“Still, it’s cute,” she said.  “When do you find out if it’s a boy or girl?”

“I go for an ultrasound at the end of next month.  We’ll find out then,” I said.